Discipline for a 7 year old

In my daughter's first-grade class they use a color behavior chart to monitor their progress through the day. The color goes from green (excellent) to purple (trip to office, parent called and/or sent home immediately) basically green, yellow, orange, red, purple. Yesterday she brough home an ORANGE. Her teacher sent home a note explaining why she was given an orange. Her father and I decided to give her amnesty for one day to see if she could replace it with the appropriate green today. But today she comes home with a RED. Discipline is imminent. We've explained the importance of good behavior multitudes of times and how you play at recess and listen to your teacher during class. But she seems to be completely unaffected by what she's SUPPOSED to do. How would you handle this?

Comfy

Asked by Comfy at 5:35 PM on Feb. 24, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• dont let her eat candy corn anymore
    Anonymous

• firstly, alot of the bad behaviour has already been dealt with at school, so find out her consequences at school. If she is normally great & now has all of a sudden had two bad days in a row, you need to find out what's happened there.
    Otherwise, if this has been building, sit down with you DH & daughter, write down the colours & the response she will receive from you eg
    Green - Icecream after dinner
    Blue (if that is the colour of just average behaviour) Nothing changes
    Orange - no TV today
    Red - no tv for a week, no plays, extra chores, or extra homework
    Purple - Armageddon LOL - whatever is the agreed radical punishment that you decide on.
    Print them out and stick them on her wall, & on the fridge, & I'd also give here a small copy for her school desk
    This way the punishment is already decided & and she has a clear idea of what to expect if she acts up
    Good Luck
    myheartx4

Answer by myheartx4 at 5:48 PM on Feb. 24, 2010

• Between Super Nanny and Dr James Dobson. I've found that Consequences and Consistency work great. Meaning you have to be consistent with the consequences. First make sure shes clear on what behavior is expected. At school and at home. Next let her know before hand what the consequences will be if the rules are broken. IE Come home with red no television for the night. It took my son about a week (hes a slow learner :) but as long as he knew I was going to follow through it helped alot. I also received a lot of support from his teacher. She e-mails me if the behavior gets to bad and I've let my son know She is there to teach him not discipline him. The discipline is my job.

CKasting

Answer by CKasting at 5:55 PM on Feb. 24, 2010

• I like the idea of giving her a copy for her desk. She doesn't watch very much tv (not even on a daily basis, more like every now and then, maybe once a week?)
    Comfy

Answer by Comfy at 6:18 PM on Feb. 24, 2010

• We've already been through all of that sadly, she knows what's expected of her because we go through it daily as a reminder.
    Comfy

Answer by Comfy at 6:19 PM on Feb. 24, 2010

• I love Super Nanny. But I don't think I've ever seen this situation. That's why I'm asking you gals. Surely there's someone out there with the magical touch that has the right answer. Mine is painful. And I'd like to give the alternative a chance.
    Comfy

Answer by Comfy at 6:23 PM on Feb. 24, 2010

• Many children respond better to positive discipline (a good report = 1/2 of TV) than negative. I strongly recommend the book Raising Our Children, Raising Ourselves by Naomi Aldort; you should be able to find it at your local library. More infomation at www.naomialdort.com

Answer by rkoloms at 10:00 AM on Feb. 25, 2010

• Wow! They get a lot of chances. We have green, yellow, and red. Sorry, that was a tangent.
    Is this new behavior or something that you've been dealing with all school year?
    indymom22

Answer by indymom22 at 11:25 PM on Feb. 25, 2010