anyone know? divorce question

We aren't divorced but are seperated per state's definition. He takes money out of MY savings account that his name is not on without my consent or knowledge. can I sue him for it?

mhaney03

Asked by mhaney03 at 5:49 PM on Feb. 24, 2010 in Relationships

• you can trick him, put candy corn in the bank next time he takes it out, he can eat it!
    Anonymous

• I believe that you can if you can prove it is him doing it. I would go and close the account and open a new one at another bank or credit union so he couldn't continue to do it though. Good Luck.
    Anonymous

• I'd ask the bank how he can take money out of your account. I'm hoping you made the separation legal so you have papers to show he's not with you anymore.

Answer by admckenzie at 5:56 PM on Feb. 24, 2010

• close that account and get a new one at another bank
    rochellecole

Answer by rochellecole at 6:01 PM on Feb. 24, 2010

• I am a bank manager and you need to visit the bank on this immediately. He should not be able to do this at all! How is he doing it?
    bjane01

Answer by bjane01 at 6:30 PM on Feb. 24, 2010

• Nope, as long as his name is on the account he has full legal access to it, no matter who put the money in. I know this from experience, went through the same thing. You cannot take his name off the account, he would have to do that. So you close that account and open a new one in your name only. Do it right away!!
    TarLion

Answer by TarLion at 6:30 PM on Feb. 24, 2010

• I agree with the other poster's - close the account, open a new one at a new bank and don't tell him where it is. I don't know about suing for the money, but you can bring it up during the divorce when you do "equitable distribution" - make sure you keep records!!

Answer by missanc at 7:00 PM on Feb. 24, 2010

• tarlion, I said in the original post his name is NOT on the account.

thanks for the replies everyone!
    he's doing it because we have 3 accounts - a joint checking, i have my own checking, and i have my own savings. we've always logged into online banking under my name and password. Hes been logging in under my name and transferring the moey. if he were to get his own under his name, only his account will show up when he logs in. I have changed the password so he can't get in anymore, and i know it's him because he flat out told me.
    mhaney03

Answer by mhaney03 at 7:28 PM on Feb. 24, 2010

• Get your name off the joint accounts, open your own individual accounts. I mean, close that one he's been taking from all together. I'd let a lawyer know about it so you can get reimbursed since he didn't have permission to take your money.
    Anonymous