divorced mom trying to move to another state!!!!

can someone help me with my thoughts? is it wrong to move on with your life? I have been divorced for 5 years, and I want to leave in another state. a state cheaper than the one I am in now. I want to change scenery and just have a life.....I have 2 six year old. Will I lose custody, if I move? some body answer me. Thank you.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:18 PM on Feb. 24, 2010 in General Parenting

• Check your divorce decree, you will have to , at least in my case when I moved to a new town, have to send a registered letter to your ex stating the new address, when you will be moving, phone numbers, and the prospective date you're moving. I had to give 60 days notice. I made a copy of it and then had it sent return receipt. If it states that you need to get permission from your ex for the children to cross state lines you should call him and make sure he gets his say in the matter. Or if you aren't sure about any of these things then you should consult an attorney. GL PS. I don't recommend taking the children out of the state without going through the right channels...
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 6:22 PM on Feb. 24, 2010

• my ex hates me. I just want to start a new life. Do i have a right to a new life?
    Fran123

Answer by Fran123 at 6:24 PM on Feb. 24, 2010

• If your ex has contact with the children then I think it would be very selfish of you to move just so YOU can have a new life. Your children are priority number one and it's a good thing to have their dad in their life.

Answer by missanc at 8:08 AM on Feb. 25, 2010

• I doubt you would lose custody. However, I would not ever take my kids away from their father if he is a decent dad and they have a good relationship. I don't think you kids will take kindly to moving away if they are close to their dad.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 10:00 PM on Feb. 25, 2010

• Thank you Ladies for your very smart answers.
    Fran123

Answer by Fran123 at 10:01 AM on Feb. 27, 2010