Is it easier to be religious in large numbers than in isolation??

After reading another question I noticed that a number of the answers said that the biggest issue they had was isolation...

I too have this issue. And because of this issue I have had issue being consistent in my religious activity. I see many people in my area whom are very active religiously - going to church weekly, ministry and such... And I have often wished I had someone to share my beliefs with, thinking it would give me more drive...

Do you think it's easier to belong to a popular religion than an unpopular one? And do you think this is why some people join popular religions over others?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:24 PM on Feb. 24, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I personally don't understand this, only because my beliefs are just that, mine. They are not contingent upon other people and what THEY do with their beliefs at all. I don't feel I need to be surrounded by like minded beliefs, to stay strong in my own. I in fact, have no one around me of similar beliefs except my DH. All of my friends and family are christian or jewish.
    So, I am confused by this need by others.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 6:54 PM on Feb. 24, 2010

• It would be nice to be able to tell someone what my religion is without then having to write a 20 page dissertation answering all their questions about it. (or figuring out all the places I need to set them to "ignore" when they freak out about it not being one they "approve" of). It is absolutely easier to be part of a larger one, but I don't know that it's a reason why people join them over smaller. It may be a contributing factor, but I think it has more to do with lack of interest.

Some (please note the use of the word "some" here before someone decides to martyr themselves all over the following statement) people don't really care about their religion, they just have this idea that they are supposed to have one, so they find the nearest convenient one. If it so happened that a smaller religion had been most convenient to them (via parents, friends) they would have gone that way as easily.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 7:04 PM on Feb. 24, 2010

• It seems important for some people to have their belief confirmed. There are plenty of social groups that are based on common interest and not just religion. Sometimes I do wish there were pastafarian gatherings , ramen!
    writeon

Answer by writeon at 7:17 PM on Feb. 24, 2010

• It's always easier to be one in a crowd than to be the one and only... I would love for there to be more people with my beliefs around here... It would be great to have others to share my beliefs with... But I don't need them.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 8:52 PM on Feb. 24, 2010

• Not for me. I used to be Catholic and knew tons of people in that faith but felt completely alone. Everyone in my neighborhood was catholic. I'm a Jehovah's witness and now i live in a small town and in my hall there arent that many people but I feel happy there and more welcomed and I guess people would say that my religion is an unpopular one, but i love it.
    Anonymous

• I think it might be easier to be 'religious' in a group, but it isn't necessarily easier to be 'spiritual' in a group.
    I'm a member of an 'unpopular' religion in my area... I'm quite literally the only Buddhist I know in real life. I'm honestly quite fine practicing on my own. I have really minimal interest in organized religion and the cultural aspects of Buddhism as it is practiced in countries with large populations of Buddhist followers... my daily life is my spiritual practice and I'm fine and happy with that and don't feel any need for a group.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 10:57 PM on Feb. 24, 2010

• Yes, I think it is 'easier' (although not impossible).
    Hebrews 10:24,25 "And let us consider one another to incite to love and fine works, not forsaking the gathering of ourselves together, as some have the custom, but encouraging one another, and all the more so as you behold the day drawing near. "
    Greymulkin

Answer by Greymulkin at 10:25 AM on Feb. 25, 2010

• Human beings are SOCIAL creatures and will most often gravitate to groups of like minded people.
    MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 12:38 PM on Feb. 25, 2010