Is it normal to be jealous....

I feel like a selfish little kid. My sister and I are 6 years apart. She is younger & I have always resented her birth. I loved being an only child. Anyways I got married and had 3 kids before she even got married. All the attention from my parents has always been on my kids. Well she got married & just had her first baby. She named it after my dad and my mom is at her house literally all the time. I feel dumb being a bit jealous but I am.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:32 PM on Feb. 24, 2010 in Relationships

• No its very normal! Its strange how similar we are. Me and my sister are 5 years apart and I had 3 kids and was married before she even got married and she is 6 months preg. with her first child now and I am thinking I will be alittle jealous when her baby is born cause my kids have always gotten ALL the attention.
    3beautbabies

Answer by 3beautbabies at 6:44 PM on Feb. 24, 2010

• I would be too! You're not dumb! Im jealous of my sister who gets everything and all the attention!
    HannahLee87

Answer by HannahLee87 at 6:34 PM on Feb. 24, 2010

• i understand,but maybie yiu havent truly excepted the fact that you have a sibling
    Anonymous

• I wish I could give you my sisters point of view She is 6 years older then me and has two kids and after I had my DD my mom was at my house  a lot. She would be mad that my mom would be at my house but really wouldent go over there. Sorry but here's a BUMP

RachMeg08

Answer by RachMeg08 at 6:36 PM on Feb. 24, 2010

• Wow. You sound like a horrible sister. You should be happy for your sister instead of being jealous. I bet your sister hates you.
    Anonymous

• Aww..dont be jealous, youve been there done all that. She doesnt love you guys any less...and i bet your sister would trade with you...she might think your parents are being over bearing and controling or in the way!!! I dont think its wrong...i think its very natural. How you act on it would be the defining factor for wrong or normal!! maybe you could tell your parents your feeling kinda neglected. or ask your sister how she feels having your mama up her booty all the time (for lack of better words)
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 6:40 PM on Feb. 24, 2010

• ANNON. You don't have to be soooooo RUDE. Grow up jealousy is very normal and it doesn't make her a bad sister. How bout you don't be ashamed of what you answer by showing who you are.. I can't stand people like you always trying to make someone feel horrible to make you feel like your so much better but thats CLEARLY not the case!!
    3beautbabies

Answer by 3beautbabies at 6:48 PM on Feb. 24, 2010

• OP here - you are a truly sweet person 3beautbabies. Thank you for your replies.
    Anonymous

• This is not meant mean, I'm hoping it might help you look at it in a different way and feel better about things -

I understand what you're saying, if your kids are being ignored. BUT, it might help to maybe look at it like this... You say you resent that your sister was born, and loved being an only child - but you yourself have more than one child. Do you love your younger kids any less than you do your older one? Do you love your older one any less because you have 2 others that came later? Of course not! You're a mom and you love all your kids - maybe not the same, because they aren't the same person - but the same amount, because they're your babies - right?

Well, it's the same for your parents. You say that your kids have been getting all the attention - of course they have - they were the only grandkids. Should your parents have only paid attention to your oldest?

cont
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 8:36 PM on Feb. 24, 2010

• cont -

Do you have cousins? Did you feel any less loved by your grandparents because of them? Probably not, right? Well, it's the same situation here. From what you've said, it sounds like your kids have had loving grandparents all along, and will continue to have them. But think how that baby would feel growing up if s/he was to be ignored, because s/he wasn't the oldest. There is love for more than one at a time in a person's heart, this new child isn't going to displace your own kids.

Trust me on this - my kids are teens, they were the only grandkids on my dh's side for yrs - their cousins are 4 and 1. We live far away, the cousins live in the same town as everyone else. ALL 4 kids are loved just as much, and my kids love their cousins, and their cousins think my kids are the greatest. Don't let your feelings deny your kids the chance to have a great relationship with their cousin or their grandparents.

gl
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 8:40 PM on Feb. 24, 2010