Will this be on the news anytime soon?

A private research and study findings reveal that first time mothers have a lot to handle and apparently big business are taking advantage of this.

Hospitals are pushing for c-section, epidural, episiotomy, to all pregnant women.
Procedures that are not needed most of the cases but great $$ for doctors and hospitals.

Formula companies make us think that formula is the best for the baby and the busy mom. Hospitals give free samples of formula. Hospitals don't give free videos on breastfeeding. Less mothers bf more customers for the baby formula companies.

Do you think that these finding would be on the news anytime soon?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:41 PM on Feb. 24, 2010 in Pregnancy

• why, this is all pretty common knowledge. if you buy formula it costs money, if they do anything to you in hospital it costs money
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 6:43 PM on Feb. 24, 2010

• Where I work we have a Lactation Consult for all BF moms and you can contact them 24/7 and set up appointments if you are having problems after you leave.

RachMeg08

Answer by RachMeg08 at 6:44 PM on Feb. 24, 2010

• umm my hospital gives free videos on bf and they do give free formula if thats what you prefer but you can get a diaper bag made expecially for bf. also I know my doctor doesnt push none of those procedures you mention, he speaks against them! where do u get your info from?
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 6:44 PM on Feb. 24, 2010

• my hospital had a medical channel just for new moms, it did have videos on breastfeeding.

and if a mother doesn't have enough sense to research things and just agrees to everything her doctor tells her without question, whatever, she's the one that can deal with the recovery from major surgery.
    Anonymous

• where do u get your info from?

USA inner cities. op
    Anonymous

• well that tells me that they did some bs research!
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 6:48 PM on Feb. 24, 2010

• My OBs never pushed for any type of unnecessary procedures - they gave me some info and I did my own research as well. My options were, and are, open. There is all types of information out there that "breast is best". I think your info is WAY off!

Answer by missanc at 6:55 PM on Feb. 24, 2010

• My OB never pushed for an episiotomy or a c-section, I didn't have either of those and they were never really mentioned, let alone pushed. I had a 2 hour long consultation with a lactation specialist before I was discharged from the hospital, and no was not given any free samples of formula. I don't agree with whatever "research" was done, I think you have inaccurate info.

Anonymous

• My doctors worked with me and didnt push anything until my sons heart rate dropped to 30 and i had to have an emergecny c-section i didnt even have time to think about anything else except getting to the OR ASAP. We got tons for free info on BF and formula/ diapers/ wipes/ cloths everything. And as for money well that wasnt an issue for us the Military paid for everything i just got the statment and it wasnt cheap!
    Anonymous

• With my first child, a nurse ran into the room offering an epidural every 10 minutes until I finally told her where to stick her epidural.
    Episitomy was not pushed, but necessary with my first child.
    I was never offered a c-section, but that could be because I made my feelings clear on that subject.
    I was always given a "gift pack" from the hospital/Enfamil that contained baby formula. I threw out the formula and kept the other "gifts".
    I've delivered 3 babies so far.

My current OB/midwife team would never push a c-section. They consider it major abdominal surgery and to be avoided whenever possible. I asked their position on this subject while interviewing them.

I wouldn't say that "hospitals give free samples of formula", that's actually the formula company, distributing the samples via the hospital.
    Anonymous