My recipe calls for canned chopped tomatoes.

But why can't i just buy fresh tomatoes and chop them myself? What would be the benefit to using canned tomatoes? I'm making Mexican Rice.

outstandingLove

Asked by outstandingLove at 7:04 PM on Feb. 24, 2010 in Food & Drink

• You can use your own fresh tomatoes. You might want to adjust the cooking time for a bit longer and add a bit more salt.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 7:07 PM on Feb. 24, 2010

• I love canned tomatoes and they have extra juice but fresh tomatoes should work.
    writeon

Answer by writeon at 7:07 PM on Feb. 24, 2010

• I'm not a chef or anything, but my guess is that the canned ones are cooked and are sometimes seasoned. I'm sure you could chop and cook fresh tomatoes to use instead. Sounds yummy!
    Anonymous

• I'm hispanic and it would be more authentic if you used fresh!! You can use fresh, most recipe's call for canned items to make them easier to cook.
    LynnB1

Answer by LynnB1 at 7:08 PM on Feb. 24, 2010

• I use Pomi brand instead of the canned. No BPA.
    Anonymous

• I believe the canned tomatoes are blanched or cooked in some way. I may be wrong. And yes...they come in quite a few varieties like garlic and herb, italian, jalepenos, so you could add some special zing to your rice just by picking a different canned tomato.
    mxmomma05

Answer by mxmomma05 at 4:54 AM on Feb. 25, 2010

• If you use fresh, you will need to peel them. Just blanch for a few seconds and the skin will come right off.

It really depends on when you are making the dish as to which is better (fresh or canned). When tomatoes are canned they are ripened on the vine, then picked and canned usually within 24 hours. They can have a much better flavor then fresh tomatoes, which, unless you grew them yourself or bought them from a farmers market, are not really fresh. They are picked green then transported and forced to ripen just before they arrive at the store.

AngelDawn7

Answer by AngelDawn7 at 5:10 PM on Feb. 25, 2010

• Oh, as for using canned, I always buy the kind without salt, flavorings, or preservatives.

AngelDawn7

Answer by AngelDawn7 at 5:11 PM on Feb. 25, 2010