selling blankets how much?

ok i recently started gettin into making blankets and was wondering how much should i charge? There is 2 URLs that i have already made please help i don't want to charge to much and at the same time i want to get my moneys worth

http://s147.photobucket.com/albums/r292/maris1192/?action=view¤t=zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.jpg&newest=1

http://s147.photobucket.com/albums/r292/maris1192/?action=view¤t=zzzzzzz.jpg&newest=1

maris1192

Asked by maris1192 at 7:40 PM on Feb. 24, 2010 in Hobbies & Crafts

• first off, the sites wouldnt pull up for me. second of all, how much does it cost u to get the materials to make them? how long does it take? and ask yourself if you are doing this for fun or for the money. if its for the money, you will get tired of it quickly. i would set the price at something that would cover the costs of supplies, then a few dollars more for labor.
    Phippsandrea

Answer by Phippsandrea at 7:43 PM on Feb. 24, 2010

• Oh they are beautiful and look so cozy and soft. Nice job! Look on etsy.com and see what others are selling them for.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 7:44 PM on Feb. 24, 2010

• I would go online and see what similar blankets are selling for. You can always charge alittle less to boost your sales. Make sure you are covering your costs and making something for your time. Check out local craft shows and see what handmade blankets are selling for.
    CorrinaWithrow

Answer by CorrinaWithrow at 7:45 PM on Feb. 24, 2010

• for one blanket it cost about $11 i finished one blanket plus a matching pillow in 3 hours yesterday and i'm doing it for both the money and for fun i go to school and after its just me and the baby so while he goes to sleep i get bored and start doing that but i also need some extra money too!
    maris1192

Answer by maris1192 at 7:52 PM on Feb. 24, 2010

• I would say you could sell them for around $20 each.
    StefanieN84

Answer by StefanieN84 at 7:53 PM on Feb. 24, 2010

• Just don't short change yourself. Your time is valuable. Be sure it is affordable for others to buy but this is a talent. It should be appreciated and if you were any one else offering a service IE a plumber or an electrician, they would expext not only supplies but labor as well. Usually people that don't make things themselves seek out those special things people like you do because they appreciate hand made items for there quality and beauty. My mom has done things of all sorts and sold them my whole life, it was her way of giving back and having alittle bit of her own money to spend on herself. Good Luck with Everything:0)
    mxmomma05

Answer by mxmomma05 at 4:07 AM on Feb. 25, 2010

• I don't even remember where I heard this but I was told price should be
    4Xcost+time
    so 4X$11= $44
    3 hours, minimum wage roughly $5X3 = 15
    so that would put them at about $60

but with my handmade crafts, I leave off the time. So I'd do $45 for the blanket and pillow set
    I would NOT go any lower than $25 though! otherwise you're just killing yourself to make some pocket change basically!
    Anonymous

• What did you do exactly? It looks like you put a border around a soft piece of fabric. I'd pay about $8 for that. Maybe someone will pay up to $15 if they can't sew that themselves.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 3:13 PM on Mar. 1, 2010

• I think they are beautiful and you have done a wonderful job making them. If it takes 11.00 to make them, you would want to sell them for at least double or even better triple. How big are your blankets, Around here a basic handmade throw with the cut ends sells for 50.00. People get it too. I try to get triple off my candles and I get 5xs for my tarts. I try to triple my tart warmers too. Once is a while I have to take a small dive especially at flea markets, but I have never once lost money on an item. We are allowed to charge more for handmade products because people will buy hand made over store brought, because of quality.
    CasualCandles

Answer by CasualCandles at 12:14 PM on Mar. 3, 2010