Emphysema question?

Anyone here had a family member die from or related to emphysema? What was the final stages of your family members/friends conditions? My grandfather has emphysema, and I'm pretty sure he is in the end stages... but would like to know if this could last for a few weeks or a few months and how much worse it will get for him.

xxhazeldovexx

Asked by xxhazeldovexx at 7:55 PM on Feb. 24, 2010 in Health

• My mom died of COPD. She was on oxygen all the time. Well, one day she got so bad with her breathing even with oxygen she passed out at my sister's house. She was in ICU for a week on a ventilator. Finally after they took the tube out when she got a bit better she told us she did not want any more interventions. So we moved her to a hospice. Her breathing got very bad after that even with supplemental oxygen. Fluid began to build up in her lungs when she quit doing the breathing treatments. Her respiration was very very slow and labored. You could hear the fluid sound whenever she breathed in. She finally went into a kind of half awake/half asleep state...she quit trying to talk at all. She died 13 days after entering the hospice. She was 60 yrs old.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:42 AM on Feb. 25, 2010

• My grandma had it and also polycythemia. She was on oxygen 24 hours a day except when she disconnected it to have a cigarette. She died of a stroke the day after her 61st birthday.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 12:32 AM on Feb. 25, 2010