Will he ever be his old self again?

My 7 month old is really sick with a bad cold and ear infection. Before he got sick, he was the happiest baby on the face of the earth. He hardly ever cried and smiled, laughed, and played all day long. He was a breeze to take care of. Now for the past week (the he's been sick) all he does is cry. He sleeps all day long, and when he's away, he's either crying or eating. He never smiles anymore. I feel like my old baby is gone and that he's never coming back. My fiance heard too that once a baby gets sick for the first time, they aren't ever the same as they were before. Is this true? I just feel so depressed. I feel like I have a different baby now....

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:17 PM on Feb. 24, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• my little one got thrush when he was really young. he was so upset and miserable during those two weeks. He returned fully to the wonderful smiley happy baby. Your little one will be just fine. just let them know you are THERE!
    Adeline1210

Answer by Adeline1210 at 8:20 PM on Feb. 24, 2010

• ummm, yeah ok!
    Anonymous

• I've never heard of a baby never going back to his same personality he had before, but I know ear infections can be really, really painful. Its hard to smile and be carefree when they're in that much pain.
    Were you given antibiotics for the infection?
    PrincessRSX03

Answer by PrincessRSX03 at 8:20 PM on Feb. 24, 2010

• Yes we were given them 3 days ago. I've seen no improvement. I've also been trying to give him Tylenol cause I figured he was in pain but he won't take it so we literally have to try and sneak it in his mouth and then he just starts crying and coughing.
    Anonymous

• You could ask the doctor for pain relieving ear drops. Our ped gave them to us when my middle child had double ear infections. You just hold the bottle in your hand and warm them up and drop one drop in the ear. You could even do it while he is sleeping.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 8:30 PM on Feb. 24, 2010

• He's in pain. You'd be pissy too but it doesn't permanently effect their personalities! That's silly.
    Anonymous