Just started rice cereal...does it make them constipated???

I have just started rice cereal with my baby and he instantly went from 8 bm diapers a day to 1 or 2, and hasn't had one yet today! I am wondering if its due to the cereal or not. He has had banana's and sweet potatoes mixed with it. He likes it plain and mixed. Should I try prunes??

HarpersMom715

Asked by HarpersMom715 at 8:26 PM on Feb. 24, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It can. I'd just stop giving it.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 8:26 PM on Feb. 24, 2010

• if it is really thick, then yes it can compact their little systems. you can try diluting it with breastmilk or formula, however you're mixing it. prune juice may help or prunes, if they get way too compacted and can't get it out, and unpleasant solution for them is a suppository.
    Adeline1210

Answer by Adeline1210 at 8:28 PM on Feb. 24, 2010

• I switched to oat cereal after my little ones got constipated from the rice. I also used prunes to ease the transition for my son because he got it way worse than my daughter. Go easy on the prunes too though or you'll get the OPPOSITE effect..icky!
    Allergic2Stupid

Answer by Allergic2Stupid at 8:39 PM on Feb. 24, 2010

• Rice cereal can be extremely constipating becausr of the iron added to it. Especially if you formula feed and the formula has iron. Cereal is really an unnecessary marketing ploy. Just skip it entirely and focus on table foods. Bananas by the way can also stop up the works.

It could also be a case of the baby's digestive system being too immature yet if your baby is under six months old. In that case, it is best to stop all solids for a while and try again later. It could also be a matter of too much solids. Solids before age one are for experience so its not necessary to give too much, just enough to let the baby experiment.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 8:54 PM on Feb. 24, 2010

• Yes, and virtually no nutrition. Keep in mind that solids fed to babies before they turn 1 are for the experience of eating them, not for nutrition (a subject most doctors know little about).Nutritionists recommend starting solids at 6 months; many now recommend skipping cereal and starting with a bit of avocado mashed with breastmilk (or formula). Then baked sweet potato, oatmeal, pumpkin, pureed peas, etc. Jarred baby food tastes awful, is expensive, and you never really know what is in it. Be sure to avoid the allergy trigger foods. This is not a complete list: before age 1, no soy, dairy, wheat, citrus, egg white, strawberries; before age 2 no honey, chocolate, nuts.
    Two great books /websites on feeding babies, with differing philosophies, Baby Led Weaning www.babyledweaning.com and Super Baby Food www.superbabyfood.com You should be able to find them at your local library.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:46 AM on Feb. 25, 2010