How to get an apartment with low income?

My boyfriend, daughter, and I are currently living in the same house as my mother. We pay her rent - but not too much. She treats us all like crap, and let's my daughter get away with anything - cookies at 10am? sure thing. My mother doesn't help around the house at all, and she is constantly starting fights. This has been going on for about 2 months now where we have realized we need to get our own apartment ASAP. It was just easier to pay her rent than pay a higher rent and utilities at our own place. I am a full time college student and he works - between cell phone and car bills and child care though, we don't have the kind of money for our own place. I have looked at section 8 and other help options but they have incredibly long waiting lists. What can we do to get out of this house that drives us crazy whenever we are here ?? She is undermining my parenting and making my child not listen to me - it has to end.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:26 PM on Feb. 24, 2010 in Money & Work

• well, #1 cut out the cell phone, or go with a prepaid one. much easier on the wallet.

back to the original question though, you find the local Housing Authority (or what ever it's called where you are) and go and fill out an application. There's generally a long wait BTW!
    Anonymous

• Get on the section 8 waiting list. It could take 6 months to a couple of years, depending on what state you live in. Even if you find another apartment before your name gets to the top of the list, you can still get the voucher, IF your apartment meets HUD criteria.

There is also the housing development in your city. There's also a waiting list for that.

Have you tried craigslist? Maybe you could share a house with another family? With the economy the way it is, I'm sure there are families who would love to have another small family help with the bills.

There are also homeless shelters...but they are temporary.

Is there Head Start in your area? I think it's free for low-income people that meet the income requirements.

Those are the only things I can think of for now. Sorry.

Anonymous

• You can get a job

Answer by rkoloms at 9:39 AM on Feb. 25, 2010

• okay so my family and I have always had our own apartment. We lived off 1400 a month for 2 years. now we make a little more, my income plus my husbands part time night and weekend job so that one of us is always home with our kids. At one time we both worked full time day time jobs and kids in child care that wasnt easy. so we chose to have my husband stay home for a while then he went back to work but we have our schedules arranged so that there is no child care involved. 1 car has no payment, the other is low, we have liability car ins, went with a cheap phone provider for a while (recently switched, not to the lowest but not the highest), no credit cards, no shopping really except when we had the extra to do it, some government assistance but not alot and definitely honestly claiming all income.

Trust me, its possible and if you want to talk some more then please send me a personal message.
    LoganAndKennedy

Answer by LoganAndKennedy at 11:08 AM on Feb. 25, 2010

• If you're making car payments, sell them and get a cheap beater car that you pay cash for.

Get a part-time job.

No eating out at restaurants. There are usually many ways to trim back spending so you can afford the basics: Food, shelter, transportation and clothing. If the two of you really want to live on your own, you can. You just have to make it a top priority.
    halfpint_ny

Answer by halfpint_ny at 7:23 PM on Feb. 25, 2010

• Your area doesnt have based on income housing? Search around for that, your local Social Services would have the numbers to places that could assist you with such a thing. I also agree that being a student doesnt make you ineligable for work! I work 30+ hours a week go to school 16 hours this semester and have a 15 month old with one on the way. If you want out bad enough you will make it happen. If you live in her house unfortunately..its HER rules..she could always put you out..and then what?! We had to stay with my mom for awhile and it drove me nuts, i moved out at 17 for a reason, love her to death but CANT live with her! Be thankful, and bite your toungue, save every extra penny you have until you can afford a couple months rent, in the mean time start looking for a job to speed up the move out process!
    Anonymous