When should I start feeding my baby soft foods ("mush") and get him off of breast milk?

Hi everyone :) I have a one month old son and while I know he will be breast fed for a lot longer, does anyone know when I should start feeding him the soft foods? (I just want to be prepared, lol)

Thanks :)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:31 PM on Feb. 24, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Solids no sooner then 6 mos IMO, then continue to nurse with a little solids after until at least a year. You can continue to nurse past a year if you and baby want to.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 9:32 PM on Feb. 24, 2010

• Around six months is when you should start cereals. Then some fruits and veggies. Breastmilk/formula should be a baby's main source of nutrition until a year old.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 9:33 PM on Feb. 24, 2010

• Not until at least six months (that's when the tongue thrust reflex should be gone, the baby can sit unassisted, and there is an ability to grab for food and bring it to the mouth). With a more mature gut, there will be far less issue with gas and cramps. Food before one is just for fun so all major nutrition comes from breastmilk.

I'd skip cereal entirely -- it tastes horrid and is constipating. I'd also would skip jarred mush. Table food is fine and cheaper and tastier.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 9:38 PM on Feb. 24, 2010

• 6 months

Anonymous

• There's no need to ever get your baby off breastmilk. There is no recommended upper limit, but the WHO recommends at least two years, the AAP at least one, and as long thereafter as is mutually desireable. Breastmilk is healthful and nutritious no matter what your age :)

As far as solids, the other ladies have it right, 6 months is the recommended timeframe :)
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 9:43 PM on Feb. 24, 2010

• Hold off the solids til 6 months and even then you want breast milk to be his main source of nutrition for the first year. I gave my DD mashed sweet potato with breast milk as her first food. She loved it.

Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 9:48 PM on Feb. 24, 2010

• blah blah blah i started my son at 2 1/2 months he was ready my doctor told me to start around 3 1/2 if i wanted which obviously i already did lol he is fine healthy beautiful baby read your babies signs they will tell you when they need more then just boob juice but regardless if your feeding foods always feed boob juice after my son likes a bottle during some food some milk some food and so forth your baby will let you know dont let everyone trick you into the 6 month thing it's annoying
    Anonymous

• Anon, are you aware that you're supposed to feed solids AFTER nursing or a bottle? The reason for this is that the nutrients they need are in the milk, and you don't want them to get too full on the solids and then not drink the milk.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 10:00 PM on Feb. 24, 2010

• Krysta, the anon is obviously not aware of what the AAP and WHO recommend either. These organizations don't recommend these timeframes arbitrarily, they do it based on medical research about what is best for babies.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 10:08 PM on Feb. 24, 2010

• You can start solids around 6 months, but they are meant to supplement (add to) the breastmilk, not replace breastmilk. Also, no need to stop breastfeeding until the baby is ready to stop.
    SherriPie

Answer by SherriPie at 10:19 PM on Feb. 24, 2010