how much should my 13 day old son be eating

i pumped to get an estimate since im breast feeding i make 1 ml in one breast but thats after he had his last feed? so im confused i pumped again 3 hours later an there was almost 2ml is this ok??? or am i makn to little an inotcied my right breast makes more than my left an he latches better to the right is this ok to let him feed on my right more than the left? i also somtimes haveto give him formula because he seem to fussey after a feed on my breast so once he has 1ml or so of formula hes ok so how much should he be eating im sorry im so confused lol this is my 3rd but never breast fed my other 2 they were bottle babies any advise would be much needed thankn in advance!

ohmama213

Asked by ohmama213 at 10:12 PM on Feb. 24, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You will make as much as the baby will take. So dont worry about it! Do however, wake him up on the fourth hour, if he hasnt fed. You should also switch breasts on each feeding; a good way to remember is to tie a pin to your bra on the one you havent used, so you remember for the next feeding. (that's probably why one breast is making more than the other). And you should also try to offer both breasts at feeding time, burping inbetween. Good luck!
    LeftyMom3

Answer by LeftyMom3 at 10:17 PM on Feb. 24, 2010

• Pumping is no a measure of how much milk you make, or how much a baby gets, it is only a measure of what you pumped. Babies are FAR more efficient than the best pump. Most women also have one breast that produces a bit more than the other...kind of like being right handed or left handed...or one that pumps better than the other.

If you are worried if your baby is getting enough, look at diaper output. What goes in must come out.

The best advice I can give is stop obsession. Boobs don't have mL marks for a reason. Accept it :) don't give formula because you think something is wrong. Babies fuss. If your baby fusses after a feed burp then feed on the other side if its been 2o minutes on the other side. When baby is full baby will stop. Nurse nurse nurse. And watch for growth spurts..babies will get fussy and nurse insatiably. The more baby nurses the more you make. that's how it works.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 10:35 PM on Feb. 24, 2010

• Every time you give a bottle of formula you interfere with that feedback mechanism and will CREATE a supply problem that you never had in the first place.   Visit http://www.kellymom.com/   and   http://www.drjacknewman.com/     and if you can join a bfmoms group here and see if there is a LLL in your area if  you need face to face support.

amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 10:37 PM on Feb. 24, 2010

• Nurse your newborn on demand, and don't worry about how much you pump. All it measures is how much you can pump, not how much a baby can get. The only way that you'll know if your baby isn't getting enough is if you aren't changing 6-8 diapers in a 24 hr period.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 10:39 PM on Feb. 24, 2010

• oh, try the football hold on the less preferred breast. Different holds can really help.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 10:40 PM on Feb. 24, 2010

• I agree with the pp.

Pumping is NOT an accurate measure of what you are producing. Go to a lactation consultant or LLL and weight your baby before and after feeding--that is a better measurement.

Feeding formula is interfering with the establishment of your milk supply which takes 2 months to get established.

It may be he has a poor latch; my son was tongue tied and I have large nipples--his latch improved at about 4weeks.
    happytexasCM

Answer by happytexasCM at 10:59 PM on Feb. 24, 2010

• Pumping has nothing to do with the amount your baby can get by breastfeeding.

The worst thing you can do is give bottles of formula. If the baby is fussy after a feeding then nurse more or do other things like rock the baby. It does not mean the baby needs formula.

Virtually all women have enough milk, around 98%. We are talking all women: women in Haiti with no food or water, women starving in Africa, women living in war conditions. There is no reason to believe a normal, well fed woman in the US can't make enough milk for twins or triplets.

Babies are supposed to be exclusively breastfed - no bottles of breastmilk or formula. It takes 6-8 weeks to establish your supply. Your breasts grow more milk glands and ducts and become better at making milk.

Here is an article about the harm bottles cause

http://www.drjaygordon.com/development/bf/supplement.asp

www.kellymom.com is a good breastfeeding website
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 10:27 AM on Feb. 25, 2010