How many ounces did your week old newborn eat a feeding? my baby is drinking 2 ounces of breast milk each feeding every two hours. normal?

fenska87

Asked by fenska87 at 10:51 PM on Feb. 24, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• normal. my smaller baby ate less and more frequently. my second baby was bigger and ate a little more and a little less frequently.
    Anonymous

• yep...my baby took 3-4 bottles every 4 hrs at a week old. :)
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 10:52 PM on Feb. 24, 2010

• Are you pumping exclusively?

If you are pumping only to "measure" your supply, it is not an accurate measurement and can inhibit the establishment of your supply.

Breastmilk is more quickly digested than formula.
    happytexasCM

Answer by happytexasCM at 11:04 PM on Feb. 24, 2010

• I only nursed my baby so I don't know how much he got, but he nursed every 2 hours of so for the first few weeks.
    mnt_2_b_mommy

Answer by mnt_2_b_mommy at 12:11 AM on Feb. 25, 2010

• My son nursed every 2 hours for the first couple months, and the few times he took a pumped bottle he took 2oz as a newborn.
    ohbladi

Answer by ohbladi at 12:13 AM on Feb. 25, 2010

• My newborn drank 2 ounces every 3 hours - my milk wasn't coming in well due to severe anemia and in the hospital they had me pumping every hour to get enough to feed him

Answer by missanc at 8:00 AM on Feb. 25, 2010

• It's recommended that breastfed babies not be given any bottles or pacifiers in the early weeks. It can make your baby have problems latching and you can have problems establishing an adequate supply.

During the first 6 weeks or so of breastfeeding your breasts actually grow more milk glands and ducts. Then around 6 weeks your breasts become more efficient at breastfeeding and it is more likely you won't have any problems breastfeeding. Some moms will think they have a supply problem around then because their breasts may seem 'less full' or small. That's because they have become great at making milk.

Pumping may not be enough for your breasts to have this normal development. The best way to tell if a baby is getting enough milk is by weight gain. If you are concerned, your baby should gain around 4oz a week or a pound a month. You can buy or rent scales.

www.kellymom.com is a great breastfeeding website.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 10:12 AM on Feb. 25, 2010

• Yes. PERFECT. Baby needs one to one and a half ounces per hour.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:53 PM on Feb. 25, 2010