Do girls who are starting puberty have an increase in appetite? My 10 year old girl is always hungry. This is new and she is starting to have an increase in belly fat...what have you noticed?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:58 PM on Feb. 24, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• Normal :) Happened to me, my mom, my sisters, my nieces, EVERY girl I know. The belly fat becomes boob fat eventually lol. Just make sure she's eating healthy foods and staying active and it's fine :)
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 11:04 PM on Feb. 24, 2010

• normal. my SD has been doing the same lately. she is growing a lot. i think she is going to gain some more height here soon, too. my sister did this A LOT. She would go through periods that she gained weight and ate a bunch, but then she would go through a growth spurt. i didnt do it as much but i also didnt grow as much. i am only 5'2. lol.
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 11:25 PM on Feb. 24, 2010

• Yes. Give her a "period bag" to keep in her backpack. It should have a clean pair of underwear; a plastic bag to put the stained ones in; and a couple of pads (make sure that she knows how to use them).

Answer by rkoloms at 9:32 AM on Feb. 25, 2010

• They usually chub out a bit before slimming down, getting breasts, hips and periods.
    Anonymous

• Increase in appetite could be from the hormones raging through her body. Just change what she eats. Get rid of junk food and sodas. Replace it with fruit and steamed veggies. I am working on losing weight but still turn to food for comfort. Now I turn to a bowl of steamed carrots or a precooked package of crabmeat (sweet). The point is that she doesn't have to get fat, just change what she eats. She also might not want the healthy food and might stop binge eating if there isn't anything "good" to eat.

Answer by admckenzie at 10:56 AM on Feb. 26, 2010

• My 10 yr old DD is also going through this. She could eat non-stop and even though she is very active she has gained a lot of "pudge" in her belly recently. I monitor her food and help her make healthy choices, she is in dance, etc. but it doesn't seem to help. I too was wondering if this was normal. I do not want to give her body issues and make a big deal out of something normal, but I don't know what "normal" is. My DD is 4 ft 10 inches tall and weighs 96 lbs!! I get worried but just keep hoping that she'll even out soon. She is taller than all of her friends already but also weighs significantly more.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:00 AM on Mar. 2, 2010

• I have a ten year old that has just exploded with her growth. She is 5'4" tall and weighs 118lbs. She wears a size 9 women's shoe. She does not have a lot of activity and loves to eat so we increased her activity and made sure she was eating healthy. She has lost 7lbs. and has really slimmed down. We are waiting till she gets her period and I'm sure that is next. Make sure your daughter eats healthy and gets at least an hour of activity in and she will be fine. Scary how our girls are growing up so fast!

mamamar26

Answer by mamamar26 at 2:13 PM on Mar. 2, 2010