Sleepy 11 week old

My son will be 11 weeks on Monday and he seems to sleep quite a bit here recently. During the day he eats as soon as he wakes up, then stays up for an hour or 2 and then passes out for an hour or 2 (sometimes 3 hours). At night he sleeps for 6 to 7 hours. Is this normal? He has not been sick and doesn't show any signs of getting sick, so I don't think it is anything like that.

suthrnpeaches

Asked by suthrnpeaches at 11:21 PM on Feb. 24, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Actually its pretty common for an infant to want to nap after an hour or 2 of activity and stimulation. Consider yourself lucky. Haha if you can get long naps during the day and a full nights sleep, you are the envy of many of us moms. He could be going through a growing spurt as well that might make him more tired than usual.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 11:37 PM on Feb. 24, 2010

• Definitely normal at that age. THe NICU nurses who took care of my twins when they were born used to say "The need to sleep to grow". I couldn't believe how much they slept during their first months but I was grateful because I would sleep too lol.
    Allergic2Stupid

Answer by Allergic2Stupid at 12:04 AM on Feb. 25, 2010

• That's the way my ds was and is.. most of the time. He has a pattern that I quickly learned to watch for. He would sleep all day and night, wake for his normal feedings. The next day or two he would eat... all day. The next thing I know, he doesn't fit into his diapers anymore. Sounds like a growth spurt to me. Especially at that age I wanted him to sleep as much as possible because both of us, parents, are short and I have claimed that I will not stunt his growth by waking him needlessly. Just keep a good eye on his diaper count and his weight. If one or both drop, you should contact a nurse at your doctor's office.
    Marri357

Answer by Marri357 at 12:17 AM on Feb. 25, 2010

• totally normal. Probably a growth spurt. Growth happens while they sleep.
    mnt_2_b_mommy

Answer by mnt_2_b_mommy at 12:41 AM on Feb. 25, 2010

• If you are breastfeeding you may need to wake your baby at night to nurse. You want to make sure your baby is gaining around 4 ounces a week or at least a pound a month.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 10:02 AM on Feb. 25, 2010

• You're one of those lucky moms who's baby sleeps well. Mine started sleeping about 6 hours at night by that age, but it's fluctuated. I would definitely NOT wake him up to feed at night, but rather than take my advice, talk with you dr. or a lactation consultant if you are concerned. My DS is 5 months old and he still can't tolerate being awake more than 2 hours at a time (he's a short napper--30 minutes at a time). So, yeah, your baby is normal!
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 2:26 PM on Feb. 25, 2010