If your body is a temple...

...isn't obesity a sin?

Gluttony?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:39 PM on Feb. 24, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• gluttony is a sin, not being overweight. people are overweight for many different reasons. I will say in America though that is seams to be gluttony.

KristaRene

Answer by KristaRene at 11:22 AM on Feb. 25, 2010

• yes, but not every obese person overeats. most do, but not all. sometimes it's genetics or some women that have PCOS can gain weight w/o overeating. Women with thyroid issues.
    Anonymous

• I was going to say the same thing. It doesn't just come from just over eating.
    ldsdragonmom

Answer by ldsdragonmom at 11:45 PM on Feb. 24, 2010

• Yes obesity would be considered a sin if that person CAUSED their own obesity...by overeating. But if its because of an uncontrollable health issue or just genetics, then no, I don't think it would be.
    Anonymous

• Just because your body is a temple doesn't mean you have to be skinny. Temples come in all shapes and sizes. If God made us all in his image and he created us in his idea of perfection then how would being a larger size be a sin? Some babies are born obese...are you implying that they are sinners? Plus some obese people are obese because of medical issues. Even if it was from over eating it doesn't make it a sin. Over eating doesn't always equal gluttony. My father in law is very obese. When he was little though he was severly underweight and so his parents would over feed him and force him to eat and eat. When he got older he couldn't get out of eating 3 servings of food in a meal. His stomach was trained at a young age to eat and eat. It didn't catch up to him until he was in his 40's, now he is in his 50's and he has been trying for years to cut back on eating and losing weight. I don't believe that being obese is a sin.
    Coolpeasmommy

Answer by Coolpeasmommy at 11:57 PM on Feb. 24, 2010

• Agreed, just because your body is a temple, does not mean all obese people over eat. The majority probably do, but not all for sure. Genetics and illness also plays a part in the disease.
    RutterMama

Answer by RutterMama at 8:57 AM on Feb. 25, 2010