?

Anyone here had a family member die from or related to emphysema? What was the final stages of your family members/friends conditions? How did you deal with everything emotionally? My grandfather has emphysema, and I'm pretty sure he is in the end stages... but would like to know if this could last for a few weeks or a few months and how much worse it will get for him.

xxhazeldovexx

Asked by xxhazeldovexx at 11:46 PM on Feb. 24, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• My grandmother also had emphysema and died from it's complications. Her experience was similar to pnwimom - toward the end she spent alot of time in a deep sleep. My grandfather was with her and finally he held her hand and told her that it would be OK for her to go that he'll be OK and an hour laster she passed away.
    eringobrough

Answer by eringobrough at 10:51 AM on Feb. 25, 2010

• My grandfather did though I cannot tell you what the final stages were as I was living on the other side of the country and going through Training for the Navy when he died. I buried myself in my notes/studying and didn't grienve until a year or so after he passed.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 12:01 AM on Feb. 25, 2010

• Oh and he had it for several tears prior to his death we just weren't aware of it until shortly beforehand. HE was aware of it, but he never informed anyone of it, not even my grandma. He didn't want to freak her out. *Sigh*
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 12:06 AM on Feb. 25, 2010

• My Grandmother had emphysema for years till she passed away from the complications. In her last days she was in a deep sleep and she would talk about her childhood and go back to sleep. She went very peacefully in her sleep.

pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 12:23 AM on Feb. 25, 2010

• My dad died from COPD last December. It was emphysema. It was not a pleasant ending. It is a very difficult process to watch. As the oxygen levels get lower they lose the ability to reason and can become difficult to deal with. I pray that your Grandfather has a more gentle ending than my dad did.
    Marwill

Answer by Marwill at 12:00 PM on Feb. 25, 2010

• eringobrough.. that's all I kept thinking about on my drive home after stopping at my uncles. My uncle told me they started him on pain killers today, and from what I've seen and read, that is normally what happens in the end of COPD or emphysema.
    I kept thinking about how it's going to be like when I go to see him in a few hours after he(my uncle) warned me how rough of shape he was in. My papa and I are really close. Through most of this, myself and my uncle have been the ones caring for him. The only thing that kept coming to my mind is telling him it's okay to let go rather than to suffer. Your story just hit exactly how I feel.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 5:52 PM on Feb. 25, 2010