My little boy will be starting school for speech soon, i'm nervous. I'm afraid that he'll spend the whole day crying, he's never been w/o me. Has anyone had their baby go to school this early, how did you handle it? : ( I'm sad. I know its good for him though.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:47 PM on Feb. 24, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My daughter goes to a group once a week for speech. She's gone for four hours. She's 2. She does fine. You think they will freak out, but when they get there and see all the other kids, and all the toys, they are in HEAVEN lol. I think you'll be the one more scared than your child. He'll do fine. But you need to be prepared to be without him. Use that time to relax. Good luck.
    Anonymous

• Hang in there. Is your child delayed in speech--is that why he's going? I have a couple friends who are speech therapists. I think it's a wonderful profession to help kids! Hang in there....
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 11:55 PM on Feb. 24, 2010

• OP here, Adelicious, he does have speech delay. His therapist is wonderful. He'll be going to school everyday, i'm dreading this already.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:00 AM on Feb. 25, 2010

• My twins started going to speech therapy since they were 2. They both cried everytime I left them for about two or three weeks. Then, they got used to see his little friends and have fun there. Let me tell you, I cried the first time I left them :( but I know now it was good experience for them (they are 5 now). I noticed also that boys cried more than girls (maybe they are more attached to their mommys). It is ok to be sad, and make sure you take a box of kleenex (at least the first day) Btw, the staff let me stay for a long time the first time, I think that really help me and them. Good luck.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:02 AM on Feb. 25, 2010

• My son goes to PreK monday-friday for half days with speech a few days a week. I thought the samething that he would have a hard time adjusting to not being with me. I've been home with him almost his entire life. I was supprised when he actually loved going to school, but very glade because he needed the speech therapy.
    Mom_of_2_boyz87

Answer by Mom_of_2_boyz87 at 12:14 AM on Feb. 25, 2010

• My youngest son began a 5 day a week, full day special ed program when he was 3. He was profoundly speech delayed as well as some other issues. The first day was a little rough but he grew to love it there quickly. Drop off..no lingering...and be on time for pick up. Those two things will go a long way in helping him transition. Communicate with teachers/ttherapist immediately about problems.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 12:15 AM on Feb. 25, 2010

• my son goes to early head start since he was 9 months and my lit girl was lit over one . i balled not just bc my kidsgoing but what my lit girl said she seen all the kids and toys and i said im going to go and she waved and smiled and said bye and i cried bc when i went to pick them up she didnt want to leave the new toys well as she said the babies. i felt like she never mist me at all but my lit guy was sure glad to see mommy at least lol good luck mom can take it harder then the kids sometimes.
    breonnas_mom

Answer by breonnas_mom at 12:19 AM on Feb. 25, 2010