How can I help my son feel better?

My 7 month old son has a bad cold and an ear infection. Besides the horrible cough, the main issue is we have is that he is in a lot of pain from the ear infection. He cries and cries all day long and pulls on his ear. He is on antibiotics and I've been giving him tylenol, but it doesn't seem to be helping. Is there anything else I can do to help him feel better?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:05 AM on Feb. 25, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Motrin would work better for the ear pain because it is an anti inflammatory. I'd give him that instead of Motrin.
    mnt_2_b_mommy

Answer by mnt_2_b_mommy at 12:37 AM on Feb. 25, 2010

• I mean instead of tylenol! sorry! Motrin is fine after 6 months of age.
    mnt_2_b_mommy

Answer by mnt_2_b_mommy at 12:42 AM on Feb. 25, 2010

• A warm moist cloth might bring some comfort. Make as warm as you can get it without it being too warm. Fold it up and let him rest his ear on it. Have two so that you can switch off. I know adults who use garlic oil, but I just don't know about trying that on a baby. Hope he gets better soon!
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 12:44 AM on Feb. 25, 2010

• I was told for my son to give him tylenol and wait 2 hrs then give him motrin and wait 2 hours and go back to tylenol during the time of the ear infection. I don't know what your dr told you but thats what the dr told me at the ER for my son.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:01 AM on Feb. 25, 2010

• Sometimes a car ride will help a baby in pain fall asleep.

I wouldn't give Tylenol or Motrin. They can both become toxic quick even for adults. An infant's liver doesn't do well with drugs until 3 or older. Recents studies have found that just a few days on recommended doses of Tylenol can harm an adult's liver. You don't even know if it does help with the pain so I don't think it is worth the risk.

I don't know if you heard the recent news that almost all ear infections in babies and kids don't need antibiotics. The news made it sound like this was 'new news' when in fact it's old news. They were saying that 25 years ago. So don't count on antibiotics being needed or effective.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 9:59 AM on Feb. 25, 2010

• my grandma use to take salt and warm it up in a skillet then our it into a sock,.. then put that on my ear... i swear it works.. it like draws the liquid up and makes it run out...
    twinsnseptember

Answer by twinsnseptember at 11:14 AM on Feb. 25, 2010