Placenta was low in last pregnancy...

So i dont remember this but my husband told me that when i had Elizabeth the doctor said that if my placenta was any lower i would have needed a C-Section? I am sooo worried about having to have a C-section this time. Would this make it more likely that i will have to have a C-section? Someone please explain this to me

MamaHardy2008

Asked by MamaHardy2008 at 12:11 AM on Feb. 25, 2010 in Pregnancy

• A low-lying placenta is called Placenta Previa. In complete placenta previa the placenta covers the cervix, meaning it would have to deliver before the baby, which obviously causes lots of problems. Placenta previa comes in complete (requiring a C-section), partial (which only sometimes requires a c-section), marginal (which almost never requires a C-section) and just a low-lying placenta (which is never an indicator for C-section alone).
    I don't know the recurrent rate of it, but it is a fairly uncommon condition, and the placenta almost always is marginal or just low-lying at the time of delivery. Complete and partial placenta previa are very rare. If it worries you, you have a couple of options. You can try to hear where the placenta is with a doppler or a fetoscope, and if it is high, no problems. If it is low, or cannot be heard, you can have an ultrasound to confirm location. I don't think you have to worry :)
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 12:36 AM on Feb. 25, 2010

• Ditto to what the PP said. Also, as far as I understand, they can usually tell the position of the placenta during a routine ultrasound, so they'll know ahead of time if you have it. Relax! Think happy thoughts for baby! :)
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 12:38 AM on Feb. 25, 2010