Anemic

When i went to the doctors for my checkup where they ask the MILLION questions about your history, family, and what not, i found out i was anemic during the end of my pregnancy with my first child! Yet, they NEVER told me this during my first pregnancy! I know what this means, but what are the risks and what could happen and how would i become anemic? And why wouldnt they tell me this WHILE i was pregnant and they discovered this? I only found out because she went in my chart and looked over my info from my previous pregnancy during the "meeting"

MamaHardy2008

Asked by MamaHardy2008 at 12:14 AM on Feb. 25, 2010 in Pregnancy

• It just means your iron is really low. Eat lots of spinach and other green leafy veggies. I was anemic during and after my pregnancies and even occasionally now if I don't get enough iron. You feel tired and drained, nothing too bad but you will feel better if you up the iron intake. I used to make "green" smoothies to get the extra iron. I used fresh spinach leaves, yogurt or ice (depending on if you wanted it creamy or not) with fresh fruit and a little apple juice to sweeten it. Throw it all in a blender and it is yummy! I tried different fruits and flavored yogurts, depending on what was in the fridge. I still make them from time to time and the kids love it... they call them Shrek smoothies since the spinach makes it green.
    MokaMommy

Answer by MokaMommy at 12:40 AM on Feb. 25, 2010

• I wouldn't stress about it to much!!! I had both my kids with no family history (I'm adopted), a high risk pregnancy from taking medicine for a seizure disorder, and I'm anemic. Both my kids turned out very healthy. If your doctor feels like you being anemic will effect the baby he will let you know, and tell you what you need to do.
    Mom_of_2_boyz87

Answer by Mom_of_2_boyz87 at 12:27 AM on Feb. 25, 2010

• Anemia is quite common during pregnancy, and not usually a big deal unless it's severe. It makes you feel "washed out". I'm guessing you were only mildly anemic, maybe even just below normal (you know, they have these ranges you're supposed to fit in, but everyone's so different....). So, yeah, no stress. If it was a problem, you'd notice the symptoms of extreme fatigue. In my case, I had restless leg syndrome because of it, and sometimes it's the cause of leg cramps. Usually just discomfort, not real danger.
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 12:31 AM on Feb. 25, 2010

• Anemia is not permanent it can come and go, it has to do with the iron levels in your blood, so sometimes you will be sometimes you won't be so maybe you weren't the first time but were the second time,
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 12:36 AM on Feb. 25, 2010

• Anemia during pregnancy is so common, it probably wasn't worth mentioniong. If your iron would have been really low, I'm sure they would have called in additional iron supplements for you. Take your prenatal with some OJ to increase the absorption of iron.

Answer by missanc at 7:28 AM on Feb. 25, 2010

• Here is a great listing of iron-rich foods: www.soystache.com/iron

Be sure to eat a vitamin C source with your iron source; the C increases the absorption of the iron.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:25 AM on Feb. 25, 2010