Bi-polar and poor memory. Help?

I have bi-polar disorder and need to be on meds BADLY. Problem is, I also have a bad memory and can't remember to take my meds. My medical insurance wont pay for counseling. I've tried every trick in the book to remember, but nothing works!

Any advice?

hiddenstrength

Asked by hiddenstrength at 1:21 AM on Feb. 25, 2010 in Health

• I have a friend who is bi-polar and is always forgetting a lot of things. We actually figured out it was her meds that were making her forget her short term memory. Certain meds will do that. She would forget what she was saying mid-sentence. I know we all tend to do that from time to time but she was doing it constantly. Sometimes it takes several different meds to find what is right for you. I usually call her in the mornings and chit chat and I will ask her if she took her meds, usually she has, she has 3 kids of her own, and she takes her mood stabilizer before they get up so she can cope. Do you have a friend or family member that can help remind you? I am diabetic and my 12 year old makes me take mine when she has her b-fast before school. I am very bad about not taking mine but it is only because I am afraid of gaining some of my weight back. She makes sure I take my pill though.
    CasualCandles

Answer by CasualCandles at 5:22 AM on Feb. 25, 2010

• Another thing, you say your insurance won't pay for counseling, have you talked to your doctor about writing a letter to the insurance company on your behalf. Sometimes if things are medically necessary, you can get special authorization. That is how our insurance works. However we have counseling services with a co-payment. I hope everything works out for you. Good luck.
    CasualCandles

Answer by CasualCandles at 5:29 AM on Feb. 25, 2010