Breast milk

My son is 5 going to be 6 months on the 11th and i got breast milk out the other day. how long does breast milk usually last.. i haven't ever breastfed my son.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:55 PM on Jun. 26, 2008 in Pregnancy

• How long, exactly, can I store my breast milk?
    For healthy full-term infants:

You can store it at room temperature:

for 4 to 8 hours (at no warmer than 77° Fahrenheit, or 25° Celsius)
    You can store it in the refrigerator:

for up to 2 to 3 days at 32°–39° Fahrenheit (0°–3.9° Celsius)
    You can store it in the freezer (be sure to leave about an inch of space at the top of the container or bottle to allow for expansion of the milk when it freezes):

for up to 2 weeks in a freezer compartment located inside the refrigerator
    for 3 to 4 months in a freezer that's self-contained and connected on top of or on the side of the refrigerator and is kept at 0° Fahrenheit (–18° Celsius). But be sure to store the milk in the back of the freezer, not in the door)
    for 6 to 12 months in a deep freezer that's always 4° Fahrenheit (–
    BreakingFree

Answer by BreakingFree at 12:58 PM on Jun. 26, 2008

• If you thaw frozen milk, you can refrigerate it and use it within 24 hours, but do not refreeze it. And don't save milk from a bottle that your baby already drank out of.

It's also important to note that different resources provide different variations on the amount of time you can store breast milk at room temperature, in the refrigerator, and in the freezer. Talk to your doctor if you have any concerns or questions.

BreakingFree

• I've heard of mothers still being able to express some spots of milk as long as one year after their child is born, even if they didn't breastfeed.
    MamaPyratekk

Answer by MamaPyratekk at 1:06 PM on Jun. 26, 2008