Question for Bi-polar moms

My Friend is Bi-polar, she imagines these conversations she has with me that we never really have. Then she gets mad at me and tells people i am forgetful. She also will twist situations around from what they originally were. Sometimes she will put wedges between people and try to take over friendships by pushing people out.

I notice it is worse when she is'nt on or being consistant with her meds, but even on her meds these things happen. Our group of friends are at our wits end, we dont know how to handle it anymore. Most of us have been around her for the last 10 years some have only been around for the last 5. We need help, advice, anything what makes this happen and how do we work with it? It is causing fights and friendships to be strained.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:28 AM on Feb. 25, 2010 in Health

• Not sure. I'm bi-polar myself and I kind of just stay out of large groups of friends because I have the same problem, except the people I hung out with weren't afraid to tell me to get lost. It hurts a lot and so I am very shy and withdrawn. It's even worse because it's not really my fault. But I honour my friends wishes and leave them alone, just to avoid the drama.

Speak to your friend. A lot of the times, I really wasn't aware I was doing it. She may be the same way.
    hiddenstrength

Answer by hiddenstrength at 1:41 AM on Feb. 25, 2010

• Several of us have talked to her over the years, we are always gentle about it because we dont want to hurt her, we realize it isnt really her fault. It is almost as if it is driven by jealousy. As an example - One friend and I were very close, we both became busy live far apart and recenty tried to make an effort to spend more time together. Here comes our Bi-polar friend who all of a sudden makes all these plans with our friend, then when she finds out we have plans she finds ways to push me aside. She has done this same thing to others. Almost as if she needs to lay claim to people. She also needs to be needed and inserts herself into peoples lives in a way that is normally seen as out side the scope of friendship. I love her and she is so sweet but I cant take it anymore, I almost want to walk away completely but i would hate to.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:49 AM on Feb. 25, 2010