I know I sound like a crying a child...but..

does my six year olds 1st grade teacher really need to assign SO much homework for one night!? I don't remember having a bunch of homework in first grade, I remember my teacher doing her damn job and realizing that kids didn't want to come home and spend the whole night doing homework. I know its my duty and all, but really.. I have FOUR young kids and I'm pregnant. I can't just sit all night and help with homework. Do you think two pages front and back of math, spelling words, a daily book, an AR book AND an extra book for "extra" learning is too much a night? I SURE DO! But then again, this is the first kid I've had in school.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:51 AM on Feb. 25, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I agree. I HATE homework. I hated it as a kid and I hate it as a parent. My son doesn't have homework yet but I dread the day. My DH works later than I do so I will have to be the one helping with it. I will be the first to admit that I do not have the patience to sit and do it with him. this is why I chose to not be a teacher or home school. I need the teachers to do the teaching. I have no problem enforcing studying or reading but please don't send him home with 35 math problems I'm gonna have to explain and help with! I can't handle it! :0)
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 10:02 PM on Feb. 25, 2010

• I'm totally with you. I dont have kids that go to school but I have little brothers and sisters and my moms always complaining and stuff. When I go visit my mom, I try to help her out a little and help them, and they give them so much to do these days. They think they're preparing them more or something, I think that in the long run they're just going to get more depressed and want out. Thats not healthy for kids.They should like school! I don't remember having homework in 1st grade unless I was sick for a few days at a time and I had to make up for lost time. I know what you mean about busy parents too, My daughters 2 and I'm 4 months pregnant and I'm dreading the day I'm gonna have to enroll her in school.
    fefe87

Answer by fefe87 at 3:56 AM on Feb. 25, 2010

• There should be some sort of guide line that needs to be brought to her attention. What is she doing with them that they are not getting the class work completed?
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 3:59 AM on Feb. 25, 2010

• I believe according to some teachers 10-15 minutes for a first grader is about average and anything beyond that is excessive.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 4:03 AM on Feb. 25, 2010

• Well, I think that they actually do quite a bit in school. We just moved here, so its a new school/new teacher.. I think this is just what she does. I forgot to do homework with her the other night, so we had to do it early before school and i got a note saying that the reading is very important for success of our children. But honestly, her last teacher from her old school sent home just as much, but if it wasn't reading that night it was more math, or some other paper. I just can't keep up.. I have too much on my plate as it is, and we're still settling in..
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:04 AM on Feb. 25, 2010

• I agree, it takes my daughter a couple hours to do her homework. At least one hour. And she's dislexic so i have to help her a lot. I even had the teacher make big circles around where i was supposed to grade her paper and sign it, I forgot.. the homework got done at least, it should be her job to grade the dang thing, she assigned it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:07 AM on Feb. 25, 2010

• They have targets and imposed rules on what their class has to accomplish or be exposed to by X date and so on. If they send their pupils home with the unfinished work or the backlog the teachers can say the deadline or target was met. It is one of many weaknesses in the school system that parents have to finish the job for teachers. Teachers have way too much on them these days. It helps children find school more of a bore and helps kill alot of their pleasure in learning too! I don't think you are being unreasonable at all!

[PS/ I home ed these days]
    Greymulkin

Answer by Greymulkin at 5:17 AM on Feb. 25, 2010

• Yes it is a lot however you cannot change it so why dwell on it.
    Allergic2Stupid

Answer by Allergic2Stupid at 6:11 AM on Feb. 25, 2010

• This is part of parenting. Deal with it.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:15 AM on Feb. 25, 2010

• This is yet another reason why I homeschool. It's total nonsense for a child to be forced to sit behind a desk for 7 hours a day doing busy work, and then to come home with another hour's worth or more of homework to do. Either deal with it, or pull your child out and homeschool them yourself. Then you can teach what needs to be taught without all the nonsense.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:51 AM on Feb. 25, 2010