What would be a good companion pet for a four year old girl with Nite Terrors?

My four year old daughter has bad nite terrors and goes to a theropist.I was wondering if it would be a good idea to get her a pet as a companion to be with her at night to comfort her.What kind of pet would be good?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:38 AM on Feb. 25, 2010 in Kids' Health

• If they are actual night terrors it won't make much difference. as they are stuck inthere own world. Our son had them - bloody awful!!! And he didn't know you were there, so a pet would probably get freaked out, or might get a fright and react badly. Hang in there, they don't last forever. We found they were especially bad if he got over tired, so try to hace good bedtime routines in place,
    myheartx4

Answer by myheartx4 at 7:00 AM on Feb. 25, 2010

• Children at that Are not good with pets. You should never get a pet for a child.

Answer by louise2 at 7:36 AM on Feb. 25, 2010

• Labs are great with children. They love to cuddle and are very caring.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 7:42 AM on Feb. 25, 2010

• Let me try this again... Children at that age are not good with pets. You should never get a pet just for a child. They are not responsable enough to take care of it.

Answer by louise2 at 7:50 AM on Feb. 25, 2010

• If your child is having night terrors, a pet is not a good idea. For the pet or the child's safety, you should not leave any pet in a room with a person, small or large, who could harm them by thrashing or sudden movement. Most likely the pet will respond by harming the person as well. Please reconsider, and get a lamp, not a night light, and a large stuffed pet the child can hold onto if they wake from the night terrors.

texanmommy

Answer by texanmommy at 8:25 AM on Feb. 25, 2010

• If she is having night terrors it's not going to help at all. Night terrors are a sleep disorder where children look like they are awake... it's like sleep walking and the child often crys and screams but they are still sleeping. They are inconsolable and usually just lay down and go back to sleep (because they were never really awake) It's very rare and even more rare in girls. Is this what she is having? Or is she having nightmares???
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 8:52 AM on Feb. 25, 2010

• Dogs are great pets for kids. As long as you understand that YOU are going to be caring for the pet. I would not recommend a little dog, as they are good for people who have had dogs in the past and know how to train. A larger breed dog, a German shepherd, lab, retriever or the sort would be great! Just be sure to get as a puppy from a BREEDER not a pet store and to have it trained very well.
    RutterMama

Answer by RutterMama at 8:54 AM on Feb. 25, 2010

• Kids at this age are great for pets. My 1st suggestion is a golden retreiver. I personally like bigger dogs. I have had several. My little dog is cute but snappy with the kids. How would a dog help with night terrors? My 2 year old had them for a while. It was tough.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:28 AM on Feb. 25, 2010

• this is something you should talk to the therapist about. I'm curious as to what a therapist can do for night terrors. I thought it was just something they have to grow out of? Not doubing you, just never heard of this before.
    mrs_pulley

Answer by mrs_pulley at 9:36 AM on Feb. 25, 2010

• I agree with some of the other posters. I don't see how a pet would help. I had night terrors as a child and only scared the crap out of my cat and dog when I had them. Personally, I would try another approach.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:57 AM on Feb. 25, 2010