Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I hate this house.....

We live in a run down 40 yr home.(3 bdrm/1 bath) We pretty much stripped everything out a year ago when we moved in, but we have very little insulation, the siding is rotting and there are big holes in the sofits. The doors/windows are all very drafty, we don't have the cash to replace them, the furnace is like a big green monster, the heating ducts are disgusting(I can dust and an hour later, there's a layer of dust again). Stray cats get in the walls thru the garage and run around the attic, the basement is like a dungeon and that's where I have to do laundry for a family of 5. No amount of cleaning will get it clean. My fiance's parents own this house, and they never stuck a dime into it. There is junk piled all over this property, and I don't know if it will ever get cleaned up. What's the use in gardening? What should I do? He doesn't want to leave and I don't want to live here w/ my 3 kids(from my first marriage

Answer Question

Asked by My3RaysofSun at 7:20 AM on Feb. 25, 2010 in Home & Garden

Level 4 (36 Credits)
Answers (8)
  • You nust be living there rent free? Tell him you and the kids are moving out to a decent place. Tell him he can come if he wants.

    Answer by louise2 at 7:26 AM on Feb. 25, 2010

  • Meant, must

    Answer by louise2 at 7:28 AM on Feb. 25, 2010

  • Call you local social services to see if there are any programs that will help you fix the place. Or call Extreme Home Makeover.

    Answer by motherofhope98 at 7:39 AM on Feb. 25, 2010

  • You may be able to get a home equity loan if you own the place. The repairs you would do should significantly increase the home's value, thus making the investment a smart financial move, depending on the area you live in. If you fall w/in certain income brackets, you may be able to get a grant or low-interest loan for energy saving repairs through your local Dept. of Public Welfare. These can be used for things like insulating &/or updating your windows, doors & HVAC system. Sometimes you local utility company will offer these types of programs, too. If you need new soffit & facia &/or siding, sometimes you can get the work done at a deep discount if you are willing to allow your home to be used as an ex. home for the company. You may be able to get some of the things you need by advertising for free/low-cost items on Freecycle or Craigslist - a role of insulation, decent used windows, etc.. Anything is better than nothing!

    Answer by Anonymous at 8:24 AM on Feb. 25, 2010

  • No, we don't own, we pay his parents rent/taxes every month....we have tried weather assistance, but they are backed up about 3-4 years at the least! It seems like every time we go to repair something, we find another major issue!

    Answer by My3RaysofSun at 8:43 AM on Feb. 25, 2010

  • Okay, if you rent, then call the local housing authority, because some of what you have described is VERY illegal. The housing authority can force your in-laws to do the most necessary repairs. However, if you go this route, you will risk your relationship with your in-laws and there is a good chance that if they refuse to make the necessary repairs, the HA will condemn the house and you will have to move.

    I, too, hate my house, and we also rent from a relative, except our deal is that instead of paying cash rent, we hand him receipts for the work done on the house. Our house was built in 1894 & there hadn't been any work done on it for at least 50 years by the time we moved in. Like you, everytime we fix one thing, something new pops up or whatever we're fixing is a major ordeal, so we budget accordingly. It's been slow, but w/my DH able to do all of the work & us only buying materials, it's coming along.

    Answer by Anonymous at 9:20 AM on Feb. 25, 2010

  • Housing authority???? It's the inlaws!!! Just move if you don't like it. Obviously you are there for a reason. Low rent maybe???

    Answer by Anonymous at 9:38 AM on Feb. 25, 2010

  • I'd move!!! tell fiance he can come with if he wants or he can stay behind and live in the dump. I wouldn't pay rent until it was fixed suitable to live in. jmo...

    Answer by chica679 at 11:13 AM on Feb. 25, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.