Anyone who has been to college, can you help me understand?

I am looking into going to college for the first time. So I may have some really dumb questions. I also probably could ask a college advisor this, but Im not ready to get in touch with them yet. What I am wanting to know is to go for a bachelors I have to take general education classes. They give a list and how many credit hours needed. The first is english and says I have to take classes 101 and 102. I understand that. The rest just says I have to take classes from a certain group. How do I know how many I need and which ones to choose? Do I have a choice? Here is the link for a visual of what I'm saying. Its the list under students entering a bachelor's program.
http://catalog.mcneese.edu/preview_program.php?catoid=3&poid=248

Dawn07

Asked by Dawn07 at 7:37 AM on Feb. 25, 2010 in

• Students must enroll in at least three hours within each of these competencies:
    ----

This means you only need three credit hours from each section, which should be one class. ONce in a while you will come across classes that are 1 or 2 credit, but it shouldn't be the case from these core areas. That is what the top is saying.

Under Bachelor's degree - you would plan that with your advisor as long as you have some from each category and it totals 40 credits. It isn't very specific in this area at this university.

I'm currently contemplating returning to school to get my masters. It can be confusing as to what the requirements are.
    heatheryn

Answer by heatheryn at 7:44 AM on Feb. 25, 2010

• The only sure way to know is to see a college counselor who will likely be assigned to you. Even then, you need to get in writing exactly what you will be required to take, because sometimes the counselors make mistakes. Had this happen with my children. They got down to the final semester before graduation and found they lacked a necessary course. So when you get ready to go back, check and double check your degree program.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 8:13 AM on Feb. 25, 2010

• Generally your first 2 years (of a 4 year program), are taking core classes--English, Math, History, Science, Foreign Language--core classes vary from college to college and program to program. If you know what you want to study, you should "declare" your major as soon as you are accepted and sign up for classes. You will then be given your major's requirements, and you can plan accordingly. Basic (first year) level courses include numbers ie: Biology 101, 102, etc, and advanced level courses are identified with 201, 202, 303, 405, 601 etc.

The core classes will be required of whatever major you will be studying, however, when you get to the last 2 years of your major you may find that a lab class or internship will take the place of a core course.  And be careful, SOME classes are only held once a year, and are a prerequisite to taking an advanced class, so it might set you back a year!

LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 8:19 AM on Feb. 25, 2010

• Make an appointment with an admissions counselor; find out how to get an academic advisor at the school.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:12 AM on Feb. 25, 2010