A Doctor's account of people lying to get medical Marijuana. What do you think?

http://gooddayjournal.com/node/157

Parents In Colorado Watch Out! New Laws Have Unleashed A Monster!
Another young patient came to my office with the family alarmed at changes in his behavior: moodiness, anger, impulsiveness, trouble following through on adult responsibilities.

And it all started with the use of medical marijuana.

It was originally prescribed for a pain problem, now long since gone, as the young woman was doing heavy lifting in her work. But the back pain didn't bother her: she was using medical marijuana to cover it up, or so she said.
It was all part of a con game of an addict.
Addiction is complicated. It involved dysfunctional behavior that all revolves around what is good for the addiction. Responsible life activities suffer.\\
Could legalizing medical marijuana increase addictions?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:38 AM on Feb. 25, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Kinda like the clean needles for addicts program.

tyme4me2day

Answer by tyme4me2day at 8:52 AM on Feb. 25, 2010

• The article, as you posted it, does not make any sense. Are we talking about "him" or "her?" I call B.S. - this is just plain propaganda.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:02 AM on Feb. 25, 2010

• anon 9:02, or older (use of propaganda more than once today?)
    Did you read the article? It clearly states the purpose. with only 940 characters allowed on cm, that is why the link is there. It is up to you to have the sense to read the entire link. Would that mean you have the s- never mind. ;)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:17 AM on Feb. 25, 2010

• Read the article, I do not beleive that the plant is phsycally addictive, mentally maybe, to those with weak character traits. There will always be those people who abuse a good thing. The same would have happened if not worse with really addictive prescription pain killer.

Answer by older at 9:24 AM on Feb. 25, 2010

• This is what makes it propaganda - "Parents In Colorado Watch Out! New Laws Have Unleashed A Monster!"

Pure sensationalism. 

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:26 AM on Feb. 25, 2010

• Kind of like people who lie to get Oxycontin, Vicodin, Benzos, etc. If it makes someone feel good and get high, they will stop at nothing to get it. I worked in a pharmacy. Do you know how many people would come in on any given week to say they lost their pills, their pills fell down the drain, someone stole them, etc so we could fill their Vicodin earlier than what the law allowed us to?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:28 AM on Feb. 25, 2010

• I agree with others- people lie to get other much more dangerous drugs! People smoke pot, they want to get it legally so they can enjoy their chosen form of recreational substance without fear of getting arrested. If beer was only available via prescription then you would see many going to a doctor to get it. The current state of pot is similar to alcohol during prohibition. I do not smoke pot, but I live in Colorado and can tell you alcohol is a bigger problem than pot. I am in support of medical MJ community because I have seen first hand people that are helped by it. As far as the current bad press about it- most politicians and doctors that are coming out against MJ are backed by big pharmacutical companies- MJ can be grown locally and no one wants or needs the big pharm companies involved so they can jack up the prices and profit for themselves- that is the story behind the story!
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 9:53 AM on Feb. 25, 2010

• To touch on recreational use- its all but legal here for that as well. Its a $50 fine and not a primary offense-as in the police can not come in your home just because you are smoking a joint. It is a states rights issue-not a federal issue. The people of Colorado spoke and said pot is not the monster others think it is and are OK with it for medicinal uses as well as recreational uses. If you live in Colorado and voted against it, you just have to deal with it-just as I have to deal with things you may have voted for and I voted against- its a democracy and I deal with my political losses and you can as well. I do not smoke, drink or eat sweets because I am an adult and I know I am the type to over do those types of things- does that mean no one should have sweets, a beer or a joint? NO- it means I am an adult and make choices for myself!
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 10:02 AM on Feb. 25, 2010

• I live on Colorado. In Denver there are medical marijuana facilities all over the place. They almost had one go into the building across the street from dd's school, but that fell through. Now, there is a law prohibiting those places from opening w/in 1000 ft of a school. Anyway, my dh rides the bus to work every day. And every day he hears some loser bragging about how he got his "medical card" to get weed from one of the dispensaries. Those places are a joke at best.

However, I agree that alcohol is a much bigger problem here, as is prescription drug abuse. The medical marijuana dispensary thing is a joke, IMO. And I do wish it was better regulated somehow. Those places are robbed all the time and the crime rate in those areas increases (I should know, I live not too far from TWO of them) I don't know what the answer is, but making it "legal" as it is now isn't really working either.

Anonymous

• grow it your self if you want it.
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 1:19 PM on Feb. 25, 2010