How much should I pay a friend to babysit my 4 kids for 2 hrs?

I have to attend a good friend's memorial this weekend in the afternoon. It was unexpected she was diagnosed 3 wks ago w cancer BUT it was to spread, too late. She passed on Monday and the memorial is this Saturday.

I want someone to watch my kids b/c they are kind of young and I am sure I will be a mess :( ....... Anyway, my kids are 6,, 4, 2.5 and 11 mo.

How much should I offer someone for 2 hrs?

I do not EVER need a babysitter and so have no idea, plus there is 4, lol.

TIA!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:48 AM on Feb. 25, 2010 in General Parenting

• Really I'm not sure. Is it going to be someone close like family or close friend, or just a random babysitter? My little sister baby sits for someone people in the neighborhood from time to time. What she does is starts out at $7 an hour for one child and adds $3 on the hour for each additional child.So, she would charge $7 for one, $10 for 2, $13 for 3 and $16 for 4. I don't know if it is steep or not...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:04 AM on Feb. 25, 2010

• I use to babysit for a friend that had three kids, she paid me $1.00 per hour, per kid. It doesn't sound like much, but it sure added up. Her's were a bit older though, I think the youngest was 6 or 7 then.
    daisy521

Answer by daisy521 at 9:26 AM on Feb. 25, 2010

• $25 or 30 for the 2 hours maybe? the kids are young so more work than older ones...
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 9:46 AM on Feb. 25, 2010

• I would say at least $25 or $30.. I have daycare and I charge $5 per hour when they are drop offs.. but she isn't a daycare and a friend... My sister watches a child for me sometimes and I pay her $5 per hour but you have more kids which would make it a little tight so I would charge a little less so like i said $25 or $30.. sorry to hear about your friend btw
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:22 AM on Feb. 25, 2010

• 4 kids? I'd go with $12-$15 an hour.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 2:33 PM on Feb. 25, 2010

• OP here... ok- i was thinking of $40 total for the 3 hrs... too much?
    Anonymous