Is this just what men do?

My husband does not always respond to what I say. It drives me crazy! To the point where I constantly have to ask him, "did you hear me? Did you hear me?" Then, of course, he'll repeat everything back to me that i just said. But, it does not satisfy me! I feel like what i say is not important sometimes, or my attempts to begin conversation are just. . poop.. . .
Like the other night I was telling him about how I think we need new furniture, and he just walked away when I was done talking! No response my mouth at all! He thought it was about the furniture when I got irritated, but it has nothing to do with the furniture! I just need to feel like what I say is important. I have tried several times to explain this to him. He still does not understand why he needs to respond to what I say to him (he always hears it, hardly ever responds!)

Amber211

Asked by Amber211 at 9:14 AM on Feb. 25, 2010 in Relationships

• OMG i know exactly what you mean, my husband does it too. i will be trying to have a conversation with him or ask a question and he wont respond. I call it selective hearing lol, it is really annoying and on top of that he has ADHD, that doesnt help either. I think its a guy thing too. your not alone.
    kd2kds

Answer by kd2kds at 10:01 AM on Feb. 25, 2010

• You know I use to think it was just my ex that did that, although sometimes he'd walk out of the room right in the middle of a sentence. He even claimed once that he thought I was talking to someone else. It was just the two of us in the room...and the cat!! Then both of my kids started to do it, true one was the son, but the DD did it also. Now I do think it's a guy thing, cuz the new upgraded DH does the same thing, as do the step boys. I wonder if sometimes they think we're talking just to hear ourselves.
    daisy521

Answer by daisy521 at 9:22 AM on Feb. 25, 2010

• Sometimes we are talking just ot hear ourselves. Women NEED to talk. Find a woman to talk to. It might also help to end with a question "What do you think" would work in most situations.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:27 AM on Feb. 25, 2010

• he's weird, trade him in for a better model.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:17 AM on Feb. 25, 2010

• No need to trade in a man unless he is abusive, will not provide, or he is a cheater. For those who belive in God, He put men and women together for a reason. I'm not debating if it's a God ( please no attacks) or not. I find that it is balance in the household. There are times when a man comes in handy for reprimanding the children.. not beating okay. There are times when women come in hand.. nurturing . Well, my point is men are just different. they are the problem solvers they do not like to talk. He is listening and planning possibly. One day he will just pop up and finx the stove that he had to first find the part for. You notice the stove is fixed after saying, " it needs repairing ' over and over. They are weird like that. Get this, they think we are weird for talking all the time.
    Godswk

Answer by Godswk at 10:29 AM on Feb. 25, 2010

• Yes this is what men do. Then my husband gets mad if I tell him to do the same thing twice (he says I'm "bitching") and I say Well if you'd answer me or at least grunt at me I'd know you heard me!
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 10:33 AM on Feb. 25, 2010

• Lol, Orionsgirl!
    Amber211

Answer by Amber211 at 10:42 AM on Feb. 25, 2010

• You told him YOU THINK you need new furniture. That was a statement, not a question so he probably felt there was no need for a response. Men don't think like us. If you want a response ASK A QUESTION

Answer by admckenzie at 10:43 AM on Feb. 25, 2010

• My dh is the same way sometimes I feel like just hugging him for no reason and right away he wants sex....aaarrrggg it makes me sooo mad he doesn't respond when I want him to respond but when all I want is to cuddle he turns it into some kind of hard work for me.....that is why I don't even bother to hug him unless I know he won't be messing with me like when he is walking out the door but if he is in the bedroom for get the hugging there.... Hang in there!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:13 AM on Feb. 25, 2010

• My husband talks more than I do and I am actually the one who has a bad habit of not responding every time he finishes a sentence. Sometimes I just don't have anything to say and I don't feel that whatever he said always needs a reply.
    Anonymous