"It's not right for people to profit off of other people's suffering"

For those who use this argument to justify socialized medicine, do you also feel the government should also pay for all grief counseling and funeral expenses (including the flowers, caskets, performers and the $10k headstone at the cemetery)? That would, of course, also have to include paying for the clergy...

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 9:31 AM on Feb. 25, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I want to be buried in the dirt...straight up "worm food."
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:33 AM on Feb. 25, 2010

• Shall we say the same thing about the pharmaceutical industry?

Answer by older at 9:34 AM on Feb. 25, 2010

• Yet some praise the lucrativeness of medical marijuana. hmmmm.

Lobo
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:38 AM on Feb. 25, 2010

• anon, the pharmaceutical business has been more than lucrative for many years without questioning the tons of side effects that accompany their product a lot of which have cause people's death, can't compare to those of medicinal marijuana, the only side effect here is euphoria.

Answer by older at 9:48 AM on Feb. 25, 2010

• OMFG there are at least 4 other question right now to whine about whether or not mj should be legal, why can't you keep it to one of those FOUR questions instead of dragging it to this one, too?
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 10:15 AM on Feb. 25, 2010

• Excellent point, NP. We already have a doctor and nursing shortage in the U.S., which will already grow larger because of two things: 1-Aging population, which needs more medical care, and 2-Aging population, which means more doctors retiring.

Add to it the asinine idea of capping doctor's salaries, and we will have a decrease in medical school enrollments coupled with more doctors taking an early retirement.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 10:21 AM on Feb. 25, 2010

• sorry np!

Answer by older at 10:32 AM on Feb. 25, 2010

• "I want to be buried in the dirt...straight up "worm food." "

I think we ALL should be buried in the dirt - give our nutrients back to Mother Earth!
    What is the point of lying dead in a pretty, overpriced box?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:43 AM on Feb. 25, 2010

• NP, when I read your headline I thought you were talking about me! Not really, but I sometimes say this....just not about what you are talking about. I feel that way about the overpricing of items for the disabled..items I also manufacture and know what it costs to make them....

You are absolutely right about funeral costs! It isn't unusual for a town to have only one provider and everyone is at their mercy. It is kind of sad that the average cost of a burial is more than a birth. I do not think we should let the govt control this either though.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 10:45 AM on Feb. 25, 2010

• Who the heck buys a $10K headstone? Are you serious? Burial costing more than birth? Where do you live? Yes everybody has a right to be paid for their services. Who pays for performers at a funeral? Stop babbling!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:13 AM on Feb. 25, 2010