When should a person start there child on Stage 3 foods?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:33 AM on Feb. 25, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I just started my 9 month old when she turned 9 mths. You can start at 7-8 months though. I'm just a very paranoid mom!!! My little one doesn't really like the 3rd foods though. So I buy her gerber grad. in the little bowls. (Not lil entrees) She loves that!
    3beautbabies

Answer by 3beautbabies at 9:59 AM on Feb. 25, 2010

• Babies never need jar baby food, or cereal, or puffs, or any of the stuff marketed for babies.

Babies can start on fork mashed food like banana, sweet potato, and avocado as young as 4 months. Just put it in front of baby and let the baby feed itself. If the baby can't do it then it's too early to start solids.

It's recommended that babies be exclusively breastfed for the first 6 months.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 9:45 AM on Feb. 25, 2010

• Ditto the above. Jarred food is a marketing ploy. Table food just like everyone else. A baby who isn't ready for chunkier food will gag (its a reflex). Generally, look for the "pincer grip"; if baby can pick up a small chunk with their thumb and index finger, and get it to their mouth they can generally handle it.

http://www.babyledweaning.com/  I rokoloms posts that link all the time.

amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 9:57 AM on Feb. 25, 2010

• I buy the baby food instead of giving her what i'm eatting because she can't always have what i'm eatting even smashed up. So the gerber food is a great option. Also Earths Best 3rd foods are good. She will eat that sometimes but not any other brand.
    3beautbabies

Answer by 3beautbabies at 10:01 AM on Feb. 25, 2010

• Babies don't ever need stage 3 foods. Once they get to that point they can eat what you're eating. My first baby never ate stage 3, she barely at stage 2. She really went from stage 1 to table food. My 2nd baby did eat stage 3 because for some reason he preferred baby food to table food for a long time. You can give stage 3, if you want, after your baby no longer has the thrust tongue reflex that pushes food back out of his/her mouth and after he/she has learned to gum (or chew) the stage 2 foods. My son was eating stage 3 around 8 or 9 months old.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 10:07 AM on Feb. 25, 2010

• I just want to add this about avocado. I see it on here all the time that smashed avocado is a great baby food, as are bananas. Just be careful about both if food allergies or a latex allergy runs in the family. I'm allergic to avocado, banana and latex. I found out from my allergist that if you are allergic to latex, you are also allergic to avocado and banana. So, if anyone in the family is allergic to latex, I would avoid avocado and banana until age 2.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 10:13 AM on Feb. 25, 2010

• I agree about the avocado and banana and there may be problems in some adults. I have problems with bananas and my immunologist is concerned I may start having problems with latex so I am avoiding latex. I have to have a medication that only comes with latex stoppers and I don't want a full blown latex allergy. I take benedryl before I get the infusions with the meds to help prevent allergy.

However, I haven't read anything about babies eating avocado or banana and it causing problems. There is new evidence that babies should start any food that is considered a risk of allergy before 12 months, even peanuts. It may actually decrease the chance of allergy. It is no longer recommended to wait a week between introducing each food.

Being unsure we started my grandson on sweet potato and then other foods. When we tried avocado and banana around 9 months he didn't like it.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 10:37 AM on Feb. 25, 2010

• Gailll is right about the new study talking about not delaying certain foods, but that is for babies who do not have food allergies in the family. My allergist discussed the study with me, but advised against introducing such foods to my own children because of my food allergies.

So, if you have no known food or latex allergies in your family then feed your baby anything you think they can mash with their gums (except honey). If you do have food or latex allergies in the family then avoid all common allergens + foods family members may be allergic to.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 10:48 AM on Feb. 25, 2010

• We never did the Stage 3 foods - I just cut up/mashed what we were having. If for some reason he couldn't have what we were having, I gave him something else from around the house (ie cheese melted on whole wheat toast, bananas, steamed carrots, etc) so we didn't have to buy more baby food. He was on table food by 8 months.

Answer by missanc at 12:16 PM on Feb. 25, 2010

• Instead of bashing your decision to give your baby jarred foods I'm just going to ANSWER YOUR QUESTION :)

I started my dd on stage 3 once she was completely comfortable with the stage 2 food and was sitting up straight and seemed interested in starting a new texture.
    stepmom929

Answer by stepmom929 at 11:49 PM on Feb. 25, 2010