How careful should you be with initials when naming a baby?

I already had my baby and didn't name him this, but if I ever have another boy I really like the name Benjamin, I also want to use my dad's name as a middle name, so that would be Benjamin George. His initials would be BGR, which looks like "booger" to me. A girl name we were considering had the initials ODR, which makes me think "odor." Would you avoid initials like that or do you think no one would notice?

mybella81

Asked by mybella81 at 9:45 AM on Feb. 25, 2010 in General Parenting

• The only time I noticed initials was a friend was called Kristy Kay with a "K" last name. She hated that. But otherwise I never notice it.

Raeann11

Answer by Raeann11 at 9:49 AM on Feb. 25, 2010

• my maiden name starts with S, my sister always wished her initials were SOS
    gonefishin

Answer by gonefishin at 9:55 AM on Feb. 25, 2010

• I never thought of it at the time I named my son, but I did think of it when I was thinking up names for a girl, and I dont remember the name now, but the initals would have been KKK. My sons initials are ARK
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 9:56 AM on Feb. 25, 2010

• How about the A.S.S. Ashley Sabrina S.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:57 AM on Feb. 25, 2010

• I think some people are highly aware of initials and what they can spell (my mom was A.T. growing up, so I was aware of it.) Others are not, like DH and his family. When I changed my name to his, I dropped my middle name because going from RAY to RAG seemed a bad idea.

My grandmother, who probably had chronic depression, was SS growing up. When she hit her late teens she gave herself the middle name of Ophelia, so she was SOS. Fit her personality to a tee - slightly depressed with a flair for drama.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 10:11 AM on Feb. 25, 2010

• Mine spells my first name. I thought that was cool. I think you are overthinking this though. We don't often use all three of our initials. We usually use the first name and initial so that would take care of the odor/booger thing.

Answer by admckenzie at 10:26 AM on Feb. 25, 2010

• well at work we use our initials every day in the computer system to show who did what .. I think you shouldn't have to worry unless the initials actually end up being a word.. we were going to name our son Oscar but his initials would be OPE and we didn't want people calling him Opie... ( old tv series ) or it was going to be Aiden ( APE ) - we tried to be careful but not overly worried about it..
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 12:09 PM on Feb. 25, 2010

• The only time I noticed funny intitials was when I realized my sister's are LMP...as in "last mentrual period." But not alot of people are familiar with that abbreviation so I guess it doesn't matter. I only noticed because I work in the healthcare field.
    Anonymous

• My initals are SIN~~Stephanie Iris (thanks mom & dad) until I get married in April then they will be SIB, My youngest sisters initals are KAT~~Kristen Ann, So yeah I'd watch that initals dont spell any thing bad out.....Like my initals that is just wrong LOL and my mom didnt realize it until just recently when I asked her about it! A friend of a friend is going to have a little girl with the initals IOU...
    TAY-NATESMOM

Answer by TAY-NATESMOM at 3:45 PM on Feb. 25, 2010