College questions~for my DD? It's been a long time since I did this!

My DH and I both lost our jobs a year ago. We are both working again, but our income is less. As we approach college application, I wonder how things might play out. My DD is in the top 10% of her class. Her grades are excellent, her teachers love her, and at this point she wants to go into science. She's expressed an interest in a school that is over $30,000 for tuition per year~ (it is 5 yrs and has a great co-op program where the students get three 6 month paid jobs w/companies in their field). Is it unrealistic to encourage her to apply to schools that we clearly cannot afford to pay for? When in the application process do you know how much aid/scholarships the school will offer? Do they let you know in the acceptance letter? Our state school is a lot less, but will most likely not offer much aid. I assume it's imperative that her grades and SATs are high.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:03 AM on Feb. 25, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• Have you started looking for scholarships? My daughter is a HS freshman, and already has one small ($2.000) scholarship from medalling at the city science fair in 7th grade. www.fastweb.com is a great source.

As a rule, the top schools don't want to lose top students, and will help with financial aid. Your daughter should definitely have this discussion with her guidance counselor.

Answer by rkoloms at 10:34 AM on Feb. 25, 2010

• Yes encourage her to go to schools that she is interested in. With her great grades and recommendation letters from her teachers she is eligable for a scholarship. Which will pay half to all of her tuition for the four years. There are also other scholarships she can apply for that aren't given out by the school. Like from Fastweb.com - Yes, it is lagit. There are also grants and Financial Aid as well. Loans are an option if Grants and Scholarships do not cover all the costs.

You should always encourage your daughter to go after what she really wants. Even if it seems daunting from your stand point. You do not have to carry the financial burdon on your own. She can also help pay by getting a job while in college or a paid internship.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 11:23 AM on Feb. 25, 2010

• There are a ton of scholarships. The website posted is great. Also call the school and see what they offer. And also remember that there are loans. And remind her if she isn't able to afford the school that she has other options that are cheaper.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 9:40 AM on Feb. 27, 2010