How do you deal with Racism?

I'm from Cali, the mixing pot of the US, so I'm not used to being a minority, but moving to Nebraska changed all that. I've dealt with so many back handed comments about "my people" (I guess you can say I'm hispanic) ruining the town. I was even told that Hispanics are nothing more than small nosed N***ers...I had never heard that term used in such a duragatory way outside of Tv. I was appaled at how blatantly rude some people can be and I just don't know how to deal with it. On the one hand, I wanted to go off and defend myself (I may have a slight tint to my skin, and my hair and eyes are brown, but I speak better english and am apparently more well mannered than some ppl), but I didn't want to sink to their level. It's making me scared to go outside though, Im worried about who's gonna attack me today.

DizzyLilSailor

Asked by DizzyLilSailor at 10:21 AM on Feb. 25, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I'm sorry this is happening to you :( I moved from CA to IL when I got married and went from the CA melting pot to once KKK ran town in the middle of the state. In town i've maybe seen 5 black people the whole time i've lived here (4 years). We have a good population of hispanic/mexican people that migrate from texas to do crop work here. White people here can't stand other races here and it breaks my heart. My best friends back in CA are black and mexican and asian. I'm white, so I woudn't even begin to be able to feel what your personally going through, but I can relate a little. I hope things get better. xoxo
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:34 AM on Feb. 25, 2010

• My daughter has met a boy who is a racist, and clearly has learned to make disparaging comments about people of other races from his own father and mother. My DH and I have simply said we do not accept those kinds of comments and intolerance and do not agree that it is OK to speak like that about others. The boy said something like "mexicans will get your education"..."and blacks are going to take over the country now that we have a black president"...and his Dad got upset that they were going on a field trip to the Native American Museum to learn about race acceptance..."What do they need to teach them that for?" Well, buddy, because you sure aren't going to!! I can only hope this kid gets his lights punched out someday soon for being the way he is. Hold your head high and say, "I don't have a problem, but you seem to. Do you realize how racist that sounds?" Or just shake your head slowly and walk away...
    Anonymous

• I am bi-racial (half Chinese, half Mexican) but I look Chinese and get all kinds of racist comments said to me. People have said things like "I didn't know they make those now.' etc. It was very hard to deal with as a kid. I am also from Cali and grew up in a place that is about 90% Hispanic. But looking Chinese, let's just say I didn't blend in very well. People say things about Mexicans in front of me not knowing I am Mexican. This woman at a job once went on and on to me about how 'hispanics have so many kids they can't afford' etc. etc. She turned pale white when I told her I was hispanic. Living in a new state now, I often go places and will be the only minority person in the place! People ask my husband if he met me 'overseas.' It is ridiculous. My Mexican side has been in the US for 6 generations! I have a B.A. in English! People underestime how much racism is now being directed at Mexicans. It is terrible.
    danielp

Answer by danielp at 10:42 AM on Feb. 25, 2010

• To be honest, I would not ever live in such a place as Nebraska or middle America. I am just too different and now have a daughter who is all kinds of races! Why would I live someplace where people are going to be blatantly racist to me? I'll stick to t he coasts, thank you.
    danielp

Answer by danielp at 10:44 AM on Feb. 25, 2010

• In some areas of the country racism is still strong, unfortunately. Though it is thinly spread throughout, in some areas it's as though adversity had never been conqured. When it comes down to people who are racist though you just have to let it roll off your shoulder. I understand being scared as to what people might do, but getting into it on their level will only rile them up more. Act as though it doesn't bother you, as though you're comfortable regardless of your nationality, and just let it roll. Some people will try and push your buttons to get you to explode, because they want to be justified in whatever they say/do. Don't let them get under your skin. The only racism I have ever encountered as a white female is other races blaming whites for adversity and oppression they might feel still exists in this country. Stemming from Slavery, imprisonment, and segregation in the past. So I know I really don't know first hand.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 10:50 AM on Feb. 25, 2010

• I'm white...I moved to Seattle Wa. 20 yrs. ago with a heart full of naivety & ignorance..I came from a small town and assumed 'we were all the same under our skin' I was harrassed by black people, and mexicans to a degree to which I felt so frightened I moved out of the city and now live in a mostly white neighborhood, I had gangs of black men threaten me, one black guy held me at gunpoint, I was raped my a mexican, Oh my gosh, & just verbally threatened on a consistent basis...I find it a bit irritating when non-whites think they are the only ones who are ever harassed because of prejudiced beliefs, ( I'm not saying you OP!) whites experience the same thing. It's sad, all of it is so sad.
    chocolatluver

Answer by chocolatluver at 11:03 AM on Feb. 25, 2010

• I just want to make it known that I am not pointing the finger at ANY race, I am appalled by racism and intolerance as a whole. Saying that middle america is racist isnt the point I was trying to make. Making that statement would actually be fueling the stereotypes I am trying to fight. Im also annoyed by the people that enforce the stereotypes we're all trying to fight, mexicans, blacks, whites with alot of kids who don't watch them or who dont clean up after them, the intolerance of races against eachother...ignorance has no color. When I say racism I mean racism, not white ppl, not blacks, not hispanics, racist people (funny how they hate eachother but they're all the same) as a whole are bad.
    DizzyLilSailor

Answer by DizzyLilSailor at 11:26 AM on Feb. 25, 2010

• As the white person growing up in So Cal, I was the minority, and got shit for it growing up. It wasn't all the time, but it was there. What I did was either one of two things. First, I would ignore it. When that didn't work, I'd respond to the person in a way that showed them how stupid they were. It's like trying to end stupidity one person at a time. Good luck in your quest.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 2:05 PM on Feb. 25, 2010