Spit, Gastric reflux, or maybe lactose intolerance?

Recently my 2 month old son has been getting fussy after spitting up, sometimes he spits up a lot, other times its a small amount and there is no problem. Now i was told by my doctor and friends just keep an eye on it, but if he doesn't cry constantly after large spit ups or only spits up large amounts a couple to a few times a week then it should be no cause for alarm. However, the past week he has been crying and some has come out his nose on occasion, any advice or knowledge on gastric reflux or lactose intolerance (as myself and my mother are both lactose intolerant)....I have an appointment in a couple of days but I was wondering if actual mothers had some advice, sometimes more helpful than a male doctor in his 50's lol.

JennaJ721

Asked by JennaJ721 at 10:36 AM on Feb. 25, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My baby is 2 months and was just diagnosed with reflux. My other 2 babies had what you are describing and outgrew it. The difference between what they had and this 3rd baby that has reflux is the other 2 spit up, this one vomits. The other 2 babies never spit up more than a burp cloth could handle. This baby vomits after a feeding to the point that I use receiving blankets instead of burp cloths. The dr told me that other signs of reflux, other than the amount that is vomitted, is that she vomits while still feeding or immediately after, not later. Also, even though she throws up right away it already smells soured and is curdled.

If your baby is just fussy and spitting up a little then it isn't reflux.

As for being able to advise about lactose intollerance or anything similar, we'd need to know if you're breastfeeding or not. If you're formula feeding, are you using soy or milk based formula?
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 10:42 AM on Feb. 25, 2010

• If it's just a little spit up, it may just be your baby is gassy. If you're FF, then use the dr. Brown bottles and be sure to burp your baby really well.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 10:43 AM on Feb. 25, 2010

• If you are breastfeeding you milk is perfect for your baby and your baby can't be intollerant to it. There are only a couple of very very rare diseases that cause babies to be intollerant to human milk and those diseases are tested for when the baby has the PKU test. If your baby had one of those diseases your baby most likely be very ill. Some breastfed babies do have problems if their mother drink cow's milk.

Infants are born with the enzyme lactase to digest lactose. I just read in my son's college biology text that evolutionary biologists believe that it's normal for humans to be lactose intollerant after weaning. Some ethnic groups can digest lactose because their ancestors started drinking cows milk to survive. That's why lactose intollerance is much more common in some ethnic groups.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 10:46 AM on Feb. 25, 2010

• Breastfed babies can get too much low fat milk and have the symptoms you describe. You might try feeding on one breast only a feeding. Let the baby nurse a long time on one breast and get that high fat hind milk. The next feeding switch breasts. This is called finish the first breast first.

If you are formula feeding you have reason to be concerned. Fomula was invented because cow's milk kills babies. It has been modified but it is still cow's milk. If the baby gets it in his nose it could cause serious infections in his sinuses or ears. If formula gets in his lungs it can cause very serious pneumonia. Human milk is a normal body fluid and doesn't cause the same problems.

Of course, doctors aren't trained in breastfeeding and give inaccurate advice. They may have no training at all.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:53 AM on Feb. 25, 2010

• The thing is it seems like a large amount (or vomiting) only once in a while....its not a consistant pattern with him so it is hard to tell one day its all good and it is just smooth sailing and he only spits up a little bit after about 15 min after feeding, the next it could be vomit/crying city, so it seems a little harder for me i guess to figure out which it is...and i'm doing both breast milk and formula....i have also been considering trying gripe water
    JennaJ721

Answer by JennaJ721 at 11:27 AM on Feb. 25, 2010

• Since you're feeding both BF and FF and he is only doing this sometimes is he doing the vomitting/fussing only after the formula and tollerating the breastmilk?
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 3:21 PM on Feb. 25, 2010

• usually after formula yes, but i was thinking gastric reflux because he does tend to eat quickly and tense up sometimes
    JennaJ721

Answer by JennaJ721 at 3:35 PM on Feb. 25, 2010

• Answered at 10:46 AM on Feb. 25, 2010 by: Gailll
    If you are breastfeeding you milk is perfect for your baby and your baby can't be intollerant to it....ECT....

This answer is bull. Although congenital (since birth) lactose intolerance is very rare it does happen. My daughter is proof. And if your baby is lactose intolerant they will NOT be able to tyolerate your breast milk because it contains lactose. I suggest you look it upp ad be prepared when you go to your appt. This is from my personal experience and it is something you can pass on to your child through enzymes in your breast milk. Please look it up.
    theladybugscafe

Answer by theladybugscafe at 9:02 PM on Feb. 25, 2010

• i agree , i mean he does live in a household with 3 people lactose intolerant and my mother said that she had issues when she was very young, but i already have a list of questions and concerns to take with me...thanks everyone for your help/advice
    JennaJ721

Answer by JennaJ721 at 9:54 PM on Feb. 25, 2010

• Since he doesn't do it after breastfeeding, I think your baby either is having trouble tollerating formula (way more common than not tollerating breastmilk and you said the problems are after FF any way) or he is getting way too much gas with a bottle.

If you aren't working, try BFing full time and the problems may go away. If you are working and that's why you need to FF, then switch to the Dr. Brown bottles and be sure to stir the formula when you mix it, never shake it which produces more bubbles and gas.

What you're describing isn't reflux. My baby and my nephew, bothe EBF, have reflux and they vomit until they dry heave. A reflux baby will vomit after being FF or BF, unlike what you're describing.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 8:50 AM on Feb. 26, 2010