Invitations asking everyone to bring food to a baby shower?

I don't know you guys tell me - I have not ever been to a baby shower that the invitation instructed you to bring"An appetizer, side dish or beverage to share"
I certainly do not mind - I have just never seen this, what do you think?

chefronswife

Asked by chefronswife at 10:50 AM on Feb. 25, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Never seen it, but I don't think it's tacky. In this economy, why shouldn't everyone contribute to get togethers? Back in the day, people used to have 'rent parties' where their friends would pay money for entrance to a house party!
    danielp

Answer by danielp at 10:51 AM on Feb. 25, 2010

• Never seen it, but when im invited to something like that and in a position to do so i try to ask if theres anything i can bring to help anyway!! Parties get expensive!!!
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 10:55 AM on Feb. 25, 2010

• I actually know of someone who just made up invitations like that. In this case it's the mom's second baby in 2 years and she didn't feel right having a regular baby shower. She wouldn't have had one at all but since her first is a girl and second is a boy we asked if she would let us give her one since she needs some boy items. Instead of the normal baby shower where you just show up we are making it kind of like a pot luck type thing. It's basically a good excuse for us to get together, eat and celebrate the baby.
    momof2il

Answer by momof2il at 11:14 AM on Feb. 25, 2010

• Very tacky and cheap. They are just want presents.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:23 AM on Feb. 25, 2010

• I have been to a couple that were pretty much pot luck. They were more than just the typical baby shower, whole families were invited, the men did some "fatherly" games and activities, the women did theirs, they hired 3 neighborhood teens to watch the kids and play games with them so the adults could do their thing, then we got together for the gifting.
    Everyone was asked to "Bring along your special dish or dessert so that everyone can celebrate the diversity of our families!"

She had 3 (almost grown) children already, and this baby was a "surprise" after they had gotten rid of all of the baby stuff. So it was a great way to have a huge get together that didn't cost an arm and a leg, and to celebrate their "Surprise".
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 11:23 AM on Feb. 25, 2010

• And to the anon who said it was tacky- life isn't about how much you can spend, or how you flaunt money. The whole purpose of a baby shower is so that friends and family come together to help support this growing family. I do not feel that it is at all tacky, especially when you have a very large get together.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 11:26 AM on Feb. 25, 2010

• I think that is tacky unless it is IMMEDIATE family only. My mom and siblings, etc would be fine bringing a dish to pass. I would never ask EVERY guest I invited to do that.
    KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 11:27 AM on Feb. 25, 2010

• I think it's a great idea. Everyone has different tastes and different skills in the kitchen. Having someone bring a different dish will give you a large varity of dishes to sample. Just let people know on the invites that it's a potluck, if it's your baby shower they're attending.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 11:52 AM on Feb. 25, 2010

• If the dish is in lieu of a gift, it might be ok, but my first thought was that it's tacky. Being such, the invited guests could just decline if they don't like it.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 2:01 PM on Feb. 25, 2010