2nd part.. Why do black people say, " she acts white"

The white kids come by house and spend the night. They call me mom, when ever we are out together. Why is it that blacks can't accept one another? They tell her, "your garandparents are indian, your uncle is asian, What are you? "

Many times, not just my daughter the blacks in my family aren't accepted by other blacks. However, other races of people doesn't have a problem with us. Does it mean we should dress,speak or live where blacks will more readily accept us? I'm not sure, but it bothers me alot. However, I am not going to change for them. I am just curious as to what it is? Please add your insight. I know I am going to get flack. Possibly by someone black. Hey thats okay.. as you can read this, I am use to it. Any positive insight will be appreciated. Thanks.

Godswk

Asked by Godswk at 11:00 AM on Feb. 25, 2010 in Relationships

• i say be yourself, just because you don't "act like the other blacks" shouldn't mean anything. if they're saying you don't "act black" and they're meaning the way blacks are portrayed by, say, the media, then i say you're probly doing a good job. not because you're "acting white" but because you're being yourself.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:28 AM on Feb. 25, 2010

• They are prejudice towards white people.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:03 AM on Feb. 25, 2010

• Just be yourself be kind and ignore it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:07 AM on Feb. 25, 2010

• I agree ignore it and be yourself and stick with the people that like you for you! Who cares if you act black white yellow orange purple be yourself! I have a nece thats mixed and shes dark. Well we went to The River Walk and spend the day and they had black ladies talking about us making that child "act white". She's just being herself there was no acting anything!
    HannahLee87

Answer by HannahLee87 at 11:15 AM on Feb. 25, 2010

• There seems to be a great deal of social pressure to be "part of your race" for black people in America. I think it's kind of like the feminist movement-- a group of people during the civil rights area got really hopped up on group identity. Now, that push toward group identity has really permeated some groups: women, black Americans, and GLBT specifically.

Tremendous strides were made socio-politically because of the hard work these folks did decades ago. I can understand why many people feel compelled to maintain the legacy.

But if someone wants to pull the poor-me-oppression card, that's bogus. Jews have been enslaved and massacred for all of modern written history. There is no "act Jewish" movement. You don't see "Proud Hebrew" bumper stickers.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 11:34 AM on Feb. 25, 2010

• From my experience ....

When someone says "She acts white" it means she speaks, walks, dresses, etc as though she's from a prominantly white community. The black community have their own mannerisms, speaking, slang, way about themselves that stem from their culture. Same as any other culture has their own way about things. When someone from the black community (or whichever one, one is refering to) acts different then the majority is when that statement applies. Back in the day when a black man/women acted as if she weren't from across the tracks, they would say "She's acting white". Educated and well off financially.

It isn't right by any means in this day and age, because ever race comes from a varity of backgrounds anymore. You can't say "She's acting Mexican", because there are mexicans in the suburbs, in the slums, in the rural areas, etc. It doesn't apply anymore.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 11:40 AM on Feb. 25, 2010