Ticked at my grandmother. Read, give me some advice.

She came over to see my son today, and proceeded to tell me that my aunt (who has 3 kids, 1 is autistic) thinks she may be pregnant again, even though she has her tubes tied. I was happy for her, excited about a new little nephew, but before I could even get any words out my grandmother blurted out, "If shes pregnant again, I'm telling her to terminate it, what if it turns out like the last one". I don't even have words to describe what went through my head when she said that. My aunt is an amazing mother, and I am pro choice, but I don't think it was even close to right of her to say she was going to TELL her to terminate it, or say "what if it turns out like the last one". That broke my heart. I told her "Well, she knows what she can handle, and if she thinks she can handle another kid, let her make her own choice". But it's like she didn't even hear me. Should I say something to my grandma again? Or keep my mouth shut?

wahm_abbeyrose

Asked by wahm_abbeyrose at 11:03 AM on Feb. 25, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I think elderly are just blunt and say what they are thinking. She probably isnt educated about the chances of another autistic child. In her day it was a very bad thing to have a child with problems. I can understand you being shocked but you kinda just have to take what she said with a grain of salt. All you can do is support your aunt in her decision even if grandmas is speaking her mind.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:10 AM on Feb. 25, 2010

• OP here, * new little nephew or niece, lol. My bad.
    wahm_abbeyrose

Answer by wahm_abbeyrose at 11:03 AM on Feb. 25, 2010

• I dont think that i would start a big feud over it until you find out if aunt is really pregnant. Then if grandma tries to push her to have an abortion then you should step in and say something.
    twinsnseptember

Answer by twinsnseptember at 11:05 AM on Feb. 25, 2010

• I think that it is normal for older people to be that way. I would just wait if there is another baby i bet she will love it too.
    IMAMOM2-2KIDS

Answer by IMAMOM2-2KIDS at 11:06 AM on Feb. 25, 2010

• Is she usually so outspoken? Or is this a new thing? When My grandma started saying things that were out of character we didn't realize it was a sign of early Alzheimers. My guess is that is what is going on with your grandma if she is normally a sweet loving person. I would really research Alzheimers and see if your grandma has any other signs and then push her to seek a doctors advice.
    I wouldn't say anything to her, I would however speak to her kids about it, (not your aunt)...and tell them you are worried about her health. Good luck!
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 11:09 AM on Feb. 25, 2010

• someone said the same thing to me about my daughter having another baby. I just told them that I was very happy for her and happy to have more grand-kids. God does not give us what we can't not handle.
    You already told your grandma how you feel, just keep your mouth shut, but if she brings up again than you tell her how you feel and maybe you may have to shout it out!
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 11:09 AM on Feb. 25, 2010

• I'd let it go

Answer by admckenzie at 11:11 AM on Feb. 25, 2010

• Leave it alone. No use bringing up again!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:12 AM on Feb. 25, 2010

• OMG did sleepingbeautee really just say when we old folks say what is on our mind it's a sign of Alzheimer's? LOL that is too funny. I've had it all my life then! I can't believe what some people post on here. It just shows ignorance.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:13 AM on Feb. 25, 2010