How do I get bright red highlights in black hair?

I have black hair and want Fire truck red highlights in my hair. I know how to do hightlights but last time I bought a color from Sally's Beauty supply store it didnt work at all! What dye will work?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:54 AM on Feb. 25, 2010 in Beauty & Style

• Since your hair is so dark, I think you'll first have to bleach the parts you want dyed, so the red will show.
    For a bright red you could use henna, but I'm getting the impression you want a very artificial red...I would ask a Sally person, they could probably tell you what works best.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:56 AM on Feb. 25, 2010

• I agree with PP, you'll have to first bleach the parts of your hair where you want the red.
    Anonymous

• you will have to belach the parts you wnat red- this doesn't mean you have to go to all the way to blonde...but there is no way the color will show up if you do not lighten it first
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 12:55 PM on Feb. 25, 2010

• I am a professional hairstylist so fo course I would advise you to go to color specialist first. But as for a little advise my hair is that color now (bright red). Now first off is your hair naturally black? If not , you are looking at a long process as black is the hardest color to remove. but if not, you can lighten you hair to an orange tone and then ad the vibrant red. I hope this helps. But as I said if your hair is not a natural black and you want to go lighter this can be very timely or otherwise damaging to your hair and you should see a color specialist!
    mommyjoi

Answer by mommyjoi at 9:47 AM on Mar. 2, 2010

• I dont know how to do that but I think thats a great combination...You'll look great!
    Kathy7_20

Answer by Kathy7_20 at 8:42 PM on Apr. 20, 2010