What am I doing wrong?

I workout 4-5 times a week with at least 30 min. cardio each time. I do the ab machine at the gym 4 times a week and you can tell. AEverybody is telling me that I have a six pack. But i am starting to notice that it is bulging out below my belly button. I have started eating better also so i don't think that is it. What is going on?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:56 AM on Feb. 25, 2010 in Diet & Fitness

• 80% of how you look is what you eat, I can tell you with almost 100% certainty that the reason you're feeling that way is because of your eating. Eat 5-6 small meals a day, with protien, fruits, veggies and a tiny amount of fat at each meal. TRUST ME, you'll lose whatever bluge you feel like you're getting.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:59 AM on Feb. 25, 2010

• You may be concentrating too much on that area and not enough in others? Or you are not tightening them while you work out?
    Anonymous

• You might be building up muscles you didn't know you had. a flat tummy is not a 6 pack tummy. there is a huge difference. the muscles will expand and you will have a bulge where the muscles are.
    swaney06

Answer by swaney06 at 12:00 PM on Feb. 25, 2010

• If you cut out wheat and eat more lean meats that will help. Also, the bulge bellow the belly button typically means that you have not strengthened your transverse abdominals enough. there are four layers to the abs and the six pack in one one of those layers. The transverse abdominal muscles are nature's girdle. They hold all of your organs in where they need to be. Look into Pilates for targeting and strengthening these muscles.
    PhoenixFire

Answer by PhoenixFire at 12:04 PM on Feb. 25, 2010

• You would benefit from taking Pilates or Yoga about 3xweekly. When we exercise we naturally push out our Ab muscles in an effort to support our bodies. This does the opposite effect and removes the support we need from our lower backs. Pilates ( in particular) teaches you how to retrain your abdominal muscles,which is important in any movement we do. It also lengthens your muscles giving you the lovely "sleek " look we all want on our abdominals. ( and the rest of our bodies ) It sounds like you may have only being doing "crunch" type exercises for your abs and as such they are becoming short and bulky. Also practice drawing your abs in , in a gentle contraction when ever you move ( particularly with exercise) Imagine a weight is attached to your belly button and pulling it towards your spine. Do not stop breathing, This will support your spine better when you exercise and help your bulky belly tone down.
    TakeNoticeNow

Answer by TakeNoticeNow at 12:10 PM on Feb. 25, 2010