4 month old cocker spaniel puppy poops by the door

this puppy comes to vist, he belongs to my son who travels every couple of months. he will not crate the puppy. the puppy to me is like a little boy who is so excited about all of the fun outside that he forgets to poop. the "go potty" works extremely well for pee and he rarely pees in the house. i also noticed that when he did poop outside and i started praising the heck out of him, treats and all, he acted guilty about pooping. i feel sorry for the poor baby puppy. how do i help him get over this???? its okay to poop outside. i do the eat on a schedule, go out before and after. he just is too hyper to stop and think until its too late...help...

coffeemytime

Asked by coffeemytime at 12:10 PM on Feb. 25, 2010 in Pets

• Well, if your son wants free dog care, he's going to have to submit to the dog being crate trained at your house.

Dogs like to have their own space. They are vicious terrifying wolves. Where do wolves sleep? In a den. A crate is an awesome den. Crate training is psychologically and physiologically rewarding to a puppy.

You may want to go to the pet store and get a bottle of the spray-on pheromone for potty training. You can spray a spot outside and take the dog to the spot. He'll smell it and feel compelled to poop on the spot.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 12:14 PM on Feb. 25, 2010

• Why not just put a puppy pad or equivilent by the door? We have a pad by our back door and our dog goes on it no issue. She probably wouln=dn't if she had to go outside everytime. LOL
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 12:15 PM on Feb. 25, 2010

• that is pretty typically of a cocker spaniel, they are very hyper dogs. My cocker used to poop when she was excited. I would try puppy pads by the door or when you let him out to go potty, go with him to make sure she goes. I have to do this with mine, if I'm not with her to tell her to go she could run around outside for an hour and never go! And she is 7! I would also try letting him out more often and see if that helps.
    newmomma14

Answer by newmomma14 at 1:01 PM on Feb. 25, 2010

• If this pup is going to be visiting on a regular basis i would telly our son that the dog will be crated at your house at times. That will help with the housebreaking.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 5:20 PM on Feb. 25, 2010