People going to the ER instead of the doctor..even when they have insurance.

NO LINK----from the HC summit currently on television

People with $1000 to $1500 deductibles are using the ER for regular doctor visits. These people reportedly cannot afford their deductibles.

This makes no sense to me. If you can't afford that why are you using the ER where it is a guarantee you are going to be charged more. Your doctor is only going to charge you the plan allowance which assuredly will be much less than the deductible...maybe even $30-$50.

What are your thoughts on this?

yourspecialkid

Asked by yourspecialkid at 12:10 PM on Feb. 25, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

•  

NO LINK----from the HC summit on television.

yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 12:12 PM on Feb. 25, 2010

• i never went to ER unless major emergency while on insurance..if someones deductible at the dr was 1000 something is wrong.. ya we have a 2000 deduct but we dont pay that at the dr we just had to meet that before we went to the dr...we only pay 35 at the dr and then 35% on the bill.. but we do pay a pretty penny for the insurance so maybe they have sucky insurance or not enough money but thats no reason to fill up the ER for something stupid. plus you are going to pay more in the long run going to the ER
    swaney06

Answer by swaney06 at 12:13 PM on Feb. 25, 2010

• This happens a lot... what happens is people can't afford their deductables to go to their doctor, so in turn, they are waiting FAR too long to be treated so they are being told to go to the ER when calling the nurse with symptoms or adivce. they aren't using the ER as a general doctor to pay more, not at all..
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 12:13 PM on Feb. 25, 2010

• Most doctors require you to pay your deductible at the time of the visit. ER's, on the other hand, will work out a payment plan with you so that you can pay off your bill over several months or even a couple years and you don't have to pay to be seen immediately.

There were a couple times where we had to take DD to an ER instead of a doctors office even though we could've seen a doctor, however that was because no doctor could see her.
    mommy_lisa25

Answer by mommy_lisa25 at 12:18 PM on Feb. 25, 2010

• Most people want a quick fix and think the ER will give that to them. I've worked the ER for years now, and it happens all the time. "My kid has the sniffles." Yeah? Well that's nice, now you have to pay hundreds of dollars rather than $60- $100 or so at your doctor. Oh well, it's really stupidity of society that's causing this. People have lost all common sense and panic first, think later.
    Anonymous

• Maybe they couldn't get an appt w/ their doctor. I have no health ins. so my situation is alittle different, but I was having problems and made an appt for my blood pressure. They told me I couldn't see a doctor for 4 days but I could come in and get my pressure checked. It was 160/100. They said yes, it's high we will see you Friday. I ended up in the emergency room that night and was told I should have never been allowed to leave the doctors that afternoon. I spent all night in the emergency rm with my pressure @ 200/115, incurred 100's of dollars worth of bills, and none of it should of happened.
    CorrinaWithrow

Answer by CorrinaWithrow at 12:19 PM on Feb. 25, 2010

• I use the ER a lot, mostly because I live in a small town and the doctors here don't listen. When I call and ask for advice, they insist I bring him in, then when I try and get him an appointment it's forever away. I can't risk my sons health because doctors won't listen, so off to the ER we go.
    wahm_abbeyrose

Answer by wahm_abbeyrose at 12:19 PM on Feb. 25, 2010

• I personally have been to the er allot and dont care that I have to pay cause I never end up paying it any ways.
    Anonymous

-----
    Why is that? Is it because insurance pays it for you? Or is it because you skip out on the bill? If you are skipping out on the bill, you are doing yourself and everyone else a huge disservice. When hospitals have to write off a ton of money they are unable to collect, who do you think ultimately pays for it?
    Anonymous

• Maybe I should add more---

The HC panelist from SC was reporting problems reported by the ER'S. A problem was that people were using it for BASIC medical care. Basic care includes things like prescription refills and sinus infections. This puts a strain on the ER's and ends up costing a LOT more money. The problem isn't about getting appts or difficulties with doctor's. It is about people setting themselves up to owe a thousand dollars as opposed to $50.

A doctor will not make you pay your entire deductible to them if you go in for the sniffles! They will require you to pay for that visit. With the exception of our years with Tricare we have always had deductibles and never have we had a doctor demand the whole amount!
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 12:27 PM on Feb. 25, 2010