At what age should you start potty training?

My son is 16 months old and he hates when his diaper is wet or dirty. He will bring a diaper to me. Is it okay to try potty training him? What is the best way?

Simple925

Asked by Simple925 at 12:15 PM on Feb. 25, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• You are going to get SSSOOO many conflicting answers. I suggest you go to the Common Questions section or type potty training in the search box and researching. I did with my son and always advocate waiting until they show all readiness signs because it usually takes about 3-7 days. Or try earlier and work harder. More accidents and longer training time, but, earlier without diapers. Up to you.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 12:18 PM on Feb. 25, 2010

• If you feel he is ready to try then go ahead and try it. There is no harm in it. My LO was very interested at about 18 mos so we went potty frequently and now she isn't that interested so I have backed off. When this semester lightens up a little I will try to encourage her again.
    coala

Answer by coala at 12:45 PM on Feb. 25, 2010

• I have read that before 18 months most children don't have the ability to know when they have to go potty so before that age it is really hit or miss. If you try early you may fight a losing battle, versus waiting and hopefully training quickly right out of the gate. Personally I would wait longer, my DD is almost 17 months and starting to tell us when she has pooped in her diaper, but I don't plan on trying any training until she is 2 - 2 1/2 years old. The older they are also gives you the advanatge of better language skills so they can understand better your instructions and tell you when they need to use the potty. It is never too early to start talking about these things with your child and getting them familiar with the concepts and workings of using the potty though.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 3:00 PM on Feb. 25, 2010