refusing to nap..I feel bad....

I just need some encouraging words. my son is 22 months old and lately he's been rufusing to nap. He wakes up early, and he's very active, his bedtime is very decent. Only way he's been falling asleep for a nap lately is in the car, and it's usually after I just give up, and decide to run some errands...of COURSE he falls asleep in the car. It is his naptime and I read him some stories, he got a snack prior, and I left him with some water. I stepped outside for a breather and i know he is crying...I feel bad...am I a bad mom? Should I let him out of his room? and forget the nap? we have a playgroup to attend at 1:30 and I just know he will fall asleep in the car so it will be a wasted drive....

Owl_Feather

Asked by Owl_Feather at 12:20 PM on Feb. 25, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• What time is his naptime? I'm just asking because 1:30 seems to be smack in the middle of most toddlers naptimes. If it's a consistent naptime I would let him stay in his room for one hour. At almost 2, let him have some books and tell him he can "read" or sleep, but he needs to be quiet and stay in his room. Most likely if you can get him quiet and still he will fall asleep. Around 2 1/2 my youngest stopped taking naps and I would let her watch a video for an hour, during which time a lot of days she would fall asleep.

Answer by missanc at 12:28 PM on Feb. 25, 2010

• lol he may not want to nap lol
    Anonymous

• yes his books are in his bedroom so we have that covered. I also make sure his favorite toys are in his room so if he isnt sleeping he has something to occupy him. 1:30 is actually his naptime! I rsvp'd my attendance at the playgroup as a maybe, because of the nap. I'm going to check up on him in a few. It seems to be quiet in his room *phew*
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 12:33 PM on Feb. 25, 2010

• he's asleep....on the floor....I dont want to wake him up lol is it ok? He's a great bed sleeper, but I guess he was playing and finally fell asleep....
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 12:36 PM on Feb. 25, 2010

• My LO is fighting naps too. I just put her in her room. Mommy needs time to regroup and decompress for a few. She usually goes in aroung 12:45 and I get her up between 330 and 4 depending on whether she actually napped or not. Most days she does actually fall asleep around 130.
    coala

Answer by coala at 12:42 PM on Feb. 25, 2010

• My son is/was the same way.. when in his crib, he literally would fight me and cry then pass out.. and like you, I many times did the car rides.. actually he will NOT sleep anywhere but home so during holidays or B day parties I actually have to leave If I want him to get a nap and drive around for an hour then come back..nice.. but no, you are not a bad mom to let him cry.. its ok mommy the fact you are on ehre worried about it makes you a good mommie even mroe.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 12:56 PM on Feb. 25, 2010

• thanks ladies! I just hate hearing him cry...because of me putting him in his room. But I dont want him to get overtired...thats a whole other thing I'd have to deal with! I have to learn to not give in. That's one of my faults as a mom. I hear him cry, I give in and let him stay up...i decide we can go to the playgroup afterall since he isnt napping, then he falls asleep in the car, we turn around and I get frustrated. He only complained for a little bit, and now he is asleep....he's on the floor...but asleep lol
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 1:02 PM on Feb. 25, 2010