My 2 almost 3 year old is screaming at me and mu husband and being defiant also telling us no all the time. What kind of discipline is best use for this behavior?

Help!!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:24 PM on Feb. 25, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I have found spanking only makes it worse (I am not against it, it just makes him madder) So I have found consistent timeouts works the best. My son will be two in a few weeks and when he hits me, or yells, or if he yells no. We make him look us in the face and tell him what he's doing wrong, sit in him time out and tell him over and over again what he did wrong and that's not okay. And until his attitude changes (it usually changes right away) he can't get down. But either way he stays between a minute or two in time out (a minute for how old they are).
    He knows what time out is, sometimes all I have to do is give him a warning and he stops. If he doesn't he gets put there and his whole attitude changes. But you have to be consistent to see changes.
    I'm pretty sure all kids go through the "no phase". I have never seen a child that hasn't gone through it. You just have to show who is in charge or you lose authority.
    amy31308

Answer by amy31308 at 12:44 PM on Feb. 25, 2010

• lol idk lol
    Anonymous

• A good spanking!
    Anonymous

• mine is starting too, and it's pissing me off. here's how it normally goes
    ME:you need to [whatever it is]
    Him: NO!
    Me: Excuse me? you do NOT say no to mommy.
    Him : uh- uh!
    Me: that's the same thing as no
    Him: NO!
    Me: go to time out

Him: Nooooo!
    Me: you asked for it (as i take his hand and lead him to time out)
    Him: crying
    Me: ignoring
    (2 minutes later)
    Me: are you done crying?
    Him: NO
    Me: when you're done you can come out and apologize
    Him: i dooonnee (sniff sniff)
    Me: ok now come say sorry to me
    Him: (gives me hugs) i'm *sniff sniff* sorry
    Me: what are you sorry for?
    Him: saying no to mommy
    Me: thank you for saying sorry. we don't say no and be mean to mommy do we?
    Him: no ma'am
    Me: ok sweety mommy loves you, you can go play now, just remember to be nice and not say no.
    Him: ok

after a couple times of this, if it hasn
    Anonymous

• if it hasn't worked, he gets a good pop on the mouth. he's doing better with it now :)
    Anonymous

• I don't know.. my son who turned 2 in NOV is just starting this.. everything is NO or throws himself on the ground, to which I walk away when he does that. I say the same thing, if He says NO more than 2 times, he goes in tiem out . I am usualy asking him to put away or pick up his toys when he says no so I take those away if he can't listen. now he's starting to do it to get dressed.. I have yet to know what to do about that one..ugh.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 1:08 PM on Feb. 25, 2010

• I'm in the same boat with my 3 yr. old. She tells me NO to everything. I put her in time-out and when it gets real bad she gets a little spanking. They also give some good advice in books and parenting websites.
    Anonymous

• Calmly reply "I wasn't asking. I'm telling you." No is not an option. Yelling won't work. Spanking is good for getting them to pay attention, but then you only have a small window to tell them, calmly, to behave. The important thing is CALMLY say what you need to say
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 1:51 PM on Feb. 25, 2010