What is this?

Every once in a while...like once a month or further apart, myy heart pumps funny for a second or two. When it does, my chest hurts for a sec. and I can't breath for that sec. Anybody else have this happen?

BradenIsMySon

Asked by BradenIsMySon at 12:25 PM on Feb. 25, 2010 in Health

• I would have that checked by your Dr. You really don't want to mess around and ignore it.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 12:28 PM on Feb. 25, 2010

• lol see a doctor lol
    Anonymous

• Well, dang. That is not the answer I was hoping for. LOL What would be the cheapest way to go about getting checked out? I am single and poor. No support. My son has medicaid, but, I don't. Would any doc be able to check it you think or a specialist?
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 12:35 PM on Feb. 25, 2010

• I have had that before and it is usually when I've had too much caffine I no limit myself to 2 cups of coffee in the morning. If you go to the doctor and find something out let me know!
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 12:35 PM on Feb. 25, 2010

• I have a mitral valve prolapse.. My Dr. didn't give me anything for it, he said some people just do. It causes my heart to backwash, for lack of a better term. It flutters and I get nauseous and light headed. My Dr said to drink ice water and lay on my right side until I feel better. I don't get pain when it happens though...
    I do have pain in my sternum every now and then, it's called costochondritis, it's an infection in the bone. Not sure why I get it but when I do I have to take antibiotics. It hurts so bad sometimes that I can't lift my arms above my head. Go to your local health clinic, explain to them that you don't have ins and they should put you on a sliding scale... They can't turn you away if you need medical care. Hope you're feeling better soon.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 12:45 PM on Feb. 25, 2010

• A general doctor can do what is needed, alot have a sliding scale for people that have no insurance etc.. If he finds something he can not treat he may want you to see a specialist and they too can do a payment plan with you. There are alot of services out there but most people don't know where to look or ask.. Do you have a friendship house in your area, it is a Doctors office that is run by donations and the staff volunteer to work on certain days. It is very cheap. Call social services as see if they can direct you to a low income office..
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 12:48 PM on Feb. 25, 2010

• Thanks. My dad has something where his heart backwashes and reuses the old blood. (eww) He would have to take alot of antibiotics before dentist work and other things. He never had his flutter that I know of though. It isn't like a bad pain, just a weird feel, like a pressure for only a sec. The feelings, pressure, shortness of breath all only last for the split second the heart palpitates. I may have to try the health clinic. Thanks again.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 12:51 PM on Feb. 25, 2010

• It could be just heart palpations, which can be generally harmless. You would need to wear a heart monitor for twenty four hours for the dr to know for sure. I'd go get checked anyway, just in case.
    purpleswiper253

Answer by purpleswiper253 at 1:14 PM on Feb. 25, 2010

• I had heart palpitations before and went to my family doc. He sent me to a specialist and they did an ultrasound on my heart. Tests came back great. Went back to the family doc and he started asking me questions about having "blue moods" , which I answered yes to most of his questions. He said that with depression you can have that has a symptom too. After I took an antidepressant for a few months, I was back to normal!

Just a thought! GL
    Anonymous

• Wow, thanks everyone...!
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 3:42 PM on Feb. 25, 2010